Is it wrong to want to do this ?

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After a couple of rides involving quite a bit of downhill (well sort of), I stated to get the urge to put a front hydraulic disc brake on the front of the Zaskar.

I keep trying avoid thinking about it but before I know it I'm imaging 160mm then 180mm and now 203mm dia. rotors and a fancy front lever.

Someone talk me out of quick please. :LOL:

what u could do is to get some maguras in the back, and a magura disc upfront so that the levers look about the same.

thinking of the same thing but don't want to ruin my gt with a lot of straps to keep the housin in place. have the a2dz adapter lying around but not sure. probarly won't do it.

U could get a BB7 or some tektro mechanical up front that won't ruin the bikes overall look I guess...

I'll be burned for saying that a good quality cable operated disk brake will work really well on a zaskar.

It keeps the levers the same and gives you decent stopping power on the front. I ran my Zaskar like this in commuter form for about 4 years. With drops as well just to really annoy everyone.

Trouble is that I go a bit mad on the Zaskar,especially when going downhill and off road.I've got a decent section of a ride where I get about 400 feet of steep downhill on a bumpy path. By the time I get to the bottom the M739 V's are really squeeling.And the rims are HOT.

OK so it's hardly extreme downhill. But it just got me thinking if a set of modern disc brakes would be better.

Don't worry, when I change my route, I'll loose intrest, then I'll be thinking of a new(er) selle saddle.......... :)

a ride where I get about 400 feet of steep downhill on a bumpy path. By the time I get to the bottom the M739 V's are really squeeling.And the rims are HOT.

Discs ... Puh who needs them, Just come back from california riding which involved a 7 mile decent of nearly 3480 feet in temps of between 70 and 90 !! now that is what you call hot smelly sqeeling V brakes :shock: :LOL:

Brakes

What do you need a front brake for then? ;) Never used one personally, no substitute for good handling skills, just let it all go, I find that falling off usually slows things down a bit too.
You just can't put a disc on a retro Zas' better spend your dough on a disc equipped model, I would go for Magura rim brakes all round, much better than V's and in keeping with the bike. A 203 disc will add a tonne in weight and the Forks will have to be rated for a 203 too, so thats off to add a load more weight.

re:

fork problem is easy solved just get a cheap carbon fiber unit, they do look good on old GT's, just look on the xizang posted. Mine will be posted soon to but the maguras is probarly the best solution, get them they rock! the newer ones look pretty nice to... and they doesn't cost that much anymore...

legrandefromage":23ru9046 said:
I'll be burned for saying that a good quality cable operated disk brake will work really well on a zaskar.

It keeps the levers the same and gives you decent stopping power on the front. I ran my Zaskar like this in commuter form for about 4 years. With drops as well just to really annoy everyone.

Just about to say that...BB7 up front...whatever you want V on the back...same levers...nice and tidy and does the job.

Back