Odd prices on retro bikes?

GarethPJ

Retro Guru
The thing about an auction is that the price the goods sell for is what the market will stand. So, in theory at least, things sell for what they are worth. OK so worth is a complicated concept, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

So why is it then that the prices some retro bikes fetch on ebay make no sense? In particular I keep seeing base level Raleigh and Peugeot machinery (respectively 18-23 and Carbolite tubing) fetch more than what you might term entry level proper road bikes (e.g. 501 tubing).

In the past I've managed to get a Raleigh Criterium 12 in 501 for £5.50, but I've seen people pay more than ten times that amount for something like a Winner or Flyer in 18-23. Similar things happen with Peugeots, an Aubisque in Carbolite went for £51 yesterday yet I've got an almost minty Aneto in 501 for £11 less.

So what's going on? Do people really think the bottom end stuff is worth more? Or are there a staggering number of eejits out there?

The Peugeots are lugless construction which is flavour of the month and makes them very popular at the moment.

I sold my Peugeot 'Pro-Team' for £51 which to me seams a silly price for such a basic bicycle.

Its the 'my first bike' effect - seems to happen with cars, bikes and so on. A certain generation attains an age where nostalga takes over and its the 'ooh I had one of them!' and up goes the price for a while...

Well, I suppose for non-cyclists, £50 for a bike that's usable as transport is a reasonable price. It's comparable to (or lower than) prices of secondhand bikes sold in bike shops.

Of course, the cognoscenti wouldn't pay £10 for these bikes because they do not have the desire to ride or own them; in effect practically worthless.

And then there's the nostalgia element. These are the type of bikes non-cyclists had when they were children or teenagers. And going by the number of posts and photos of these bottom of the range bikes on this forum, there are people who seem to like them and want to show them off.

Well, I can't say why other people pay certain amounts, only for myself. I have bought bikes that in the pure sense of quality or range were overpriced. I bought them because I liked the looks and possibly the state and orginality. Those things take over for me, certainly in the below 100 euro pricerange.
In my opinion, paying 50 euro's for a good, original bike that you like is never to much, regardless if it is a base model or not. (I always keep in mind that buying a good new chain, like XT orso, will already set you back another 25 euro's!) Of course, buying these bikes to sell or invest, is whole other catagory, but I guess that such bikes are also in another pricerange.

It depends firstly on whether there's anyone looking, and secondly about fashion.

Alu Konas for example don't go for much - everyone wants steel. So I picked up a 1999 Cindercone frame (the first year they were Alu) for almost nowt.

Rides OK for me. But the obsessives / purists / collectors wouldn't touch it I'm sure. But I bought it as a rider and don't give a stuff.

GarethPJ":1no85rc9 said:
The thing about an auction is that the price the goods sell for is what the market will stand. So, in theory at least, things sell for what they are worth. OK so worth is a complicated concept, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

So why is it then that the prices some retro bikes fetch on ebay make no sense? In particular I keep seeing base level Raleigh and Peugeot machinery (respectively 18-23 and Carbolite tubing) fetch more than what you might term entry level proper road bikes (e.g. 501 tubing).

In the past I've managed to get a Raleigh Criterium 12 in 501 for £5.50, but I've seen people pay more than ten times that amount for something like a Winner or Flyer in 18-23. Similar things happen with Peugeots, an Aubisque in Carbolite went for £51 yesterday yet I've got an almost minty Aneto in 501 for £11 less.

So what's going on? Do people really think the bottom end stuff is worth more? Or are there a staggering number of eejits out there?

was thinking something similar as i saw a bare 80's raleigh pursuit frame and forks go for £60...That was always nothing but a cheap model in there range (I had one once) ....
I also think if you are selling anything road related just add either the words Fixie or pista and you are guarnteed to cash in :D

I think some of it is also due to the listing - If its simple and clear with decent photos an honest workhorse will sell better than one that is badly listed as something special.
Raleigh and Peugeot are 'names' that are known by the non purists and therefore get more people watching - and therefore bidding.
It works in the same way that more people go to halfrauds than their LBS.

longbeech":1020fu0g said:
I think some of it is also due to the listing - If its simple and clear with decent photos an honest workhorse will sell better than one that is badly listed as something special.
Raleigh and Peugeot are 'names' that are known by the non purists and therefore get more people watching - and therefore bidding.
It works in the same way that more people go to halfrauds than their LBS.

It's not so much that Raleigh and Peugeot sell well, it's that the crappy bottom end bikes with steam pipe frames sell for more than the middle range stuff which are decent bikes. Not that I'm complaining, I've had a couple of decent bikes for silly prices as a result of this effect.

I suspect it could be that there is a nostalgia element split into two parts; first are those who want to relive their youth and know that the bike isn't really worth that much; the second part are those who remember a particular model as being desirable when they were a teenager and don't realise that it's a cheap bottom end clunker. A bit like those balding fat eejits who drive round in a ragtop XR3i because it's what they wanted when they were 17.

Back