I'm a (relative) riding god!

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone who has seen me ride knows that the above is patently untrue. So what do I mean?

I had a smashing ride in the mud today, cleaned loads of sections I usually dab on (cos I have the balance of a drunken baboon not beacuse they are technical), arrived home feeling very happy with myself.

Reflected with a beer while peeling off muddy kit and realised that
a) I'm not a better rider
b) It wasn't the bike
c) The music wasn't super inspiring
d) I had cantis on for the first time in years and couldn't stop so went faster out of necessity not desire (I also have a broad stripe across my nose when I couldn't stop so took on a branch at full speed - that'll learn the f***er I thought as I plowed onwards)

Now understand why I have fun on my cross bike, narrow tyres, zero skill and effectively no brakes.

So cantis are ace because they don't work well

Still feeling a little giddy, must drink more wine

PS No nature was hurt in this adventure, the above aggressive branch simply swung back into place with elegant disdain

Took the 7 year old twin boys to Braknel today and:

A: took f*&^%$££forever to go 50 feet.

B: slowly coasted past trail head after trail head knowing no way!

C: gettin back tho the car and looking at the Dog..exhasted...the kids near death...the wife..."I am going to hurt tommorrow" And me..

D:I think IHAVE TO GO FOR A RIDE TOMORROW!!!!!

how funny, I went out on the cross bike today to re-discover how utterly useless canti's were/are, how slow I had been over the last three months riding rigid forks on my hardtail (ecen though I'd told anyone that would listen that they were'nt that different - really), and how lucky we all are to be able to get out and do all this all the time. Best ride in ages.

:)

I went out today on my new build NOS LTS with all new 2007 kit on it , i can say that i dont miss my other stock build LTS.

Me and the bike got totaly caked in mud and rode home down the high street getting funny looks from all the saturday shoppers as i sprayed mud everywhere

i am looking forward to completing my rigid DYNATECH and CHAS ROBERTS and having the choice of riding 2007 new build LTS , 1997 retro LTS , hard tail 1992 ROBERTS or rigid 1991 DYNATECH.

I just hope my butt and back can handle the latter two as i have been riding fully suspended bikes for 9 years now.

nice thing is after years of riding i can still get home and have the same huge childlike smile on my face.

Its amazing how crap old brakes are, you jump off one steed with hydraulic disk brakes on to a fifteen year old bike, and wonder why you can't stop as well, it reminds me of the old blokes who rode a BSA 750cc years ago and want to get back into motorbikes so the buy a GSXR 750 and then promptly go and kill themselves, different bikes and different technology!
you would'nt dream of using mechanical disk brakes now on new bikes, but you'll happilly ride around Cannock Chase with Canti's or U brakes !

Have never tried discs, always thought that I didn't go too fast to outrun canti capability .... until yesterday!

Worryingly/thrillingly I have cantis on 4 bikes (3 are mainly road going)

:LOL:

Yeah, thats what I'm talking about! Rides like that are awesome. Rides that make you smile are what its all about :)

Back