1978 Nishiki Competition

That is a lovely bike. I will be looking at it as I build up my Alan. It has been years since I have done anything with non-aero levers. By the way, if anyone has a spare Suntour Cyclone rear mech such as the one above, please PM me. A good home awaits.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hee guys,
I thought I really finished it now, but I am not really sure. I could not find original lever hoods for the Gran Compe 400 levers, but these are from NOS Dia Compe SVX levers and fit pretty well. The icing on the cake should have been the Brooks bar tape. I am really satisfied with the tape itself, but I am not sure of the colour. It doesn't really fit with the saddle which is original. Now I have several options, I can leave it, I can change colour of the tape to dark brown, or even black, or save up for a colour matching Brooks saddle, but then I will loose the original saddle!
What do you think? (I know the picture is a bit blurry, but it was the best one in terms of colour)
DSCN3090sm.jpg

I think it looks really good, nice bike.

As for bar tape, wouldn't Benotto possibly be the best option for the period of the bike? Also give an opportunity for a small splash of colour. I don't remember Brooks tape being around in this period.

Well, I only choose for Brooks for the luxuriousness. I have seen in an old Koga Miyata catalogue that they used fake suede bar tape. That would really fit with the saddle, but I have that not seen that anywhere nowadays. I will have a look into the benotto tape though. I am also tempted to put a matching honey Brooks Team Professional on it. It may not be original, but it looks really good!

That's a real nice bike you got there Senri. I also have a Nishiki (a Marina I think, it's from '81) which isn't NEARLY as original as yours. In fact, I only discovered it was a Nishiki when I converted it into a fixie a coupe of weeks ago... :oops: Some 2 years ago I collected the bike for free and it had some bogus Concorde stickers on it, I never knew the real make of the frame until I stripped it in preparation of a rattle can paintjob. I did order some Nishiki stickers so it can proudly wear its colours again!!
Is your saddle a Kyosho? Mine came with a suede Kyosho saddle when I got it, I wonder if it's original. (it's got a yellow plastic BMX saddle now, hipster stylee lol)
About the bar tape, I'm tempted to say dye it to match the saddle for originality's sake, but I don't know how well the new color wil go with the amber brake hoods. As much as I like to see a close to stock Nishiki, a nice and sleek Brooks saddle would look awesome. I guess it depends on budget: if you're prepared to invest in a Brooks saddle go that route, if not just dye the bar tape.

EDIT: oops I didn't realise how old this topic was, got here via a link in an other topic :shock:

And it looks like a Suede Seat, last thing in most people's mind probably, I've got one and I think the brand reads Selle Italia. Comfortable seat, I've never had problems with it.

Back