Authentic clunker build

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
I'm helping my old friend Alan Bonds put together a website called clunkers.net.

Today we took photos of his latest build. It's not done yet.

partscollection.jpg

Here is a completed bike, a shift-lever 2-speed Excelsior with coaster brake and a Union drum front brake.

I tried this bike today. SCHWEEEEEEEEEEET.

Attachments

• alans2speed.jpg
    alans2speed.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 4,181
I always look forward to your latest post, the most amazing bikes surrounded by the most beautiful countryside. MORE, MORE, MORE!

I always feel envious of all the lovely old clunkers that seem to still be around over there... wish we had them!

orange71":2cmepbwf said:
I always feel envious of all the lovely old clunkers that seem to still be around over there... wish we had them!

they're up for sale fairly frequently in the US. do a search, given favourable exchange rate not bonkers ££ either <espically compared to a lot of "retro">

are all of those parts new? forgive my ignorance, but whats the propper name of the additional long fork brace that bolts infront of the fork? chrome part, far right of the picture resting over the rim?
I'll check out www.clunkers.net now :)

they're up for sale fairly frequently in the US. do a search, given favourable exchange rate not bonkers ££ either <espically compared to a lot of "retro">

Problem is it'd be like trying to find a road bike for myself - I wouldn't have a clue where to start... I just know I like what he has there. Spose I could start with that! The other issue would be how standard are the parts (i.e. sizes/diameters etc)?

orange71":yr1742au said:

Problem is it'd be like trying to find a road bike for myself - I wouldn't have a clue where to start... I just know I like what he has there. Spose I could start with that! The other issue would be how standard are the parts (i.e. sizes/diameters etc)?

as ever do some research before you start. lot of info re sizes on mtbr.com retro forum & the schwinn forum... yeh I've been following for a whille now ;)

Back