Project Prestige (Finished)

after getting the collar for my RC-35s & crown race back from tim (justbackdated).

i decided to start building it up.
pretty much done as you can see, just need to clean the wheels and sort the cables out for gears & brakes.

1zaowj.jpg

picked up my pair of porcs from the post office this afternoon and decided to finally finish her off.

2ib2h5k.jpg

357hj7d.jpg

29247lw.jpg

23kw61i.jpg

2m4prbo.jpg

vrvyja.jpg

2dijdcj.jpg

Frame: 1991 Orange Prestige

Fork: 1994 Pace RC35 XCS

Headset: LX M560
Stem: Tioga T-bone
Handlebar: Icon
Grips: Mcneil
Barends:N/A

Brakes: LX M560
Brake Pads: LX
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: LX M560 STi

Shifters: LX M560 STi
Front Derailleur: LX M560
Rear Derailleur: LX M560
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: 7spd LX
Chain: Useless :(
Cranks: LX M563
Crank Bolts: LX
Chainrings: LX
Chainring bolts: LX
Bottom Bracket: UN51
Pedals: Wellgo

Hub Skewers: Kore
Rims: (front) Mavic M261 (rear) M231CD
Hubs: LX M560 Parralax
Nipples: generic
Spokes: err
Tyres: Onza Porcs (repros)
Tubes: Umm

Saddle: Flite
Seatpost: Tioga
Seatpost Binder: Generic Black

Weight: get back to you on that.

:?: How common is this cracking? is it on the early bikes only? or is it due to lots of 'enthusiastic' riding, or is it down to internal rust? They are really light frames for steel (IMO), tis a tad scary.

It looks pretty good the finished article :cool: :idea: To be honest, now you have successfully been down memory lane, you could/should look seriously at reframing the bike and making it all ship shape so you can relive those wild days out in the saddle, and hang the old frame up above the mantelpiece ;) double win.

according to dave yates this is a very common occurence with prestiges, which is probably why they are quite rare these days.

i think mine was a combination of lack of care & over enthusiastic riding, a seat post that was the wrong size i dont think helped with keeping water out either (dont look at me for that 1 seatpost came with the bike when i was gifted it at the tender age of 13)

and you are right considering they are steel they are incredible light bikes. (my '04 Alu trek 6700 SLR is only just lighter and uses the same wheels :oops: )

it is a real shame about the frame as i loved riding it, wish i'd taken better care of her ( hind sight is a wonderful thing)

wish i could find another Prestige that was within my budget, would love another.

looks great but cannot get my head round you going to all the effort and not being able to ride the bike?

Imagine spending the entire night chatting up Julie Delpy, wine- oysters-dancing- "your father must have been a thief..." the whole deal and at the end of the night not being able to finish the job- major frustration on both the bike and julie front non. :?

its not so much that i cant ride it i could, its just that it cant really be riden as it should.

and i went through the process of the refurb as i think she deserved it, old girl gave me many years of good fun its only fair she lives her retirement in style. ;)

Khane":1kaxyamx said:
it is a real shame about the frame as i loved riding it, wish i'd taken better care of her ( hind sight is a wonderful thing)

I almost disagree, you had a good time with it which is what it was built for and used the damn thing and thats why you are still interested now. :cool:
Another Orange will totally come up. mine only cost 2 figures, the expense is getting it forked and built up.

£100 +/- and ya sorted, adventures part 2! ;)

Back