35yr old Bob Jaackson: Help with wheels please.

Oms

Dirt Disciple
Hiya,

I'm building a 35yr old bob jackson frame to the following spec:

Ultegra SL rear SS
105 Front
FSA Gossamer Mega-Exo cranks
Tektro brakes and aero levers
Shimano 8 speed indexed frame shifters
S works carbon seatpost
Rival SL seat
Campy bars and stem

I'm not sure what wheels to fit on it. I'm not interested in the looks... more performance vs ££. Choices are:

1) Shimano R500 @ £100
2) Shimano RS10 @ £150
3) Roval Pave SL @ £165

Q1 The roval pave SL come in at only 1625 grams... so they're the lightest. The question, will they also give me speed/efficiency/ride?

Q2 I've been told there's not much betweem the R500 and the RS10 (100 grams), and that it's not worth forking out for the RS10s. Is that true, or is there a good reason why the RS10s are £50 more?

Many thanks!

:D

For a bike that old I'd go for some conventional wheels: silver Mavic Open Pros on Shimano hubs. These wheels are generally lighter and stronger than the so-called fancy ones.

Otherwise I fear it will look like 3-spoke alloys on an E-Type.

I have a pair of campag athena (8 speed) on Mavic MA 2 rims, if your interested for sale £65 +postage as I travel around thte counter I may deliver for a cup of tea.

Great condition, some brake rub on the rims but would clean up like new.

lwet me know if your interested.

Hiya,

Ta for the replies.

I'm building it using a cycle-scheme, so the bits will essentially have about 30% off... but I fear that open-pros will be a tad too expensive for what I want.

I agree that something plain would look best... but I'm not sure there's anything 'factory' built that's plain is there?

I just want somethig that I can ride to town on (as I already have a load of bits spare)... my current £1200 bike isn't someting I'd want to leave locked in town unfortunately.

That said... I also want the bike to act as a 'spare bike' for my end-to-end trip this summer.

Back