Yet another 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade!

Well, it's almost time to put everything back together. I've spent some time cleaning the remaining parts.

bike_eldridge017.jpg

The seatpost was slightly rusted in so once out I needed to sand it down slightly with some wet and dry. The bars and stem just needed a bit of a wipe down with some WD40 and some meths.

bike_eldridge015.jpg

The frame and forks are in pretty good condition considering they are 17 years old. It was pretty grimey though and it took some serious cleaning with car shampoo, meths, WD40 and T-Cut!

bike_eldridge016.jpg

Unfortunately the guy that had the bike before me was slightly over-cautious and has postcoded the frame in four different places using model paint, permanent markers and UV pens! I'm not sure how I'll get that off. There are also what looks like gloss paint spatters on the underside of the downtube. Basically the frame looks a bit tired but I can't afford a respray so I'll have to live with it.

bike_eldridge014.jpg

Finally I fitted the new tyres. I can't remember the last time I fitted a 1.8" tyre - it looks so skinny! Even the 2.1" on the front looks a little svelte compared to what I am used to!

I think that everything is ready to be put back together now. Roll on the weekend (or tomorrow!).

Almost...

I have a few pics of yesterday's proress that I'll post later today. I reckon a few more hours and she'll be ready to ride!

I'm so excited. I bet it turns out to be a massive let down after all this effort!

sure it,ll have a few wee adjustments needing done, but all bikes do the first time u ride them.
Orange and black look so good together :cool:

Not much to write really apart from I started chucking the bits back together. The BB shell needed some hardcore wirebrush action before it would take the new bottom bracket but it's in now.

bike_eldridge018.jpg

Then I just threw on the mechs (massive thanks to Iwasgoodonce for the vital bit for my rear mech), chainset, shifters, grips and a saddle and it looks much more bike-like.

bike_eldridge019.jpg

The shifters are coming back off as I bought some retro Deore thumbies and have my eye on some Ritchey brake levers.

It's so close to being ride-ready!

Although I'm Orange obsessed I've got a retro Marin itch I may need to scratch (as well as a Yo Eddy one :oops: ). You lot need to stop taking my focus away from all things Orange with these great builds. :roll:

Looking good mate, bet you can't wait to get out on it. :D

Ha ha! Sorry about that.

If it helps, I want to do an Orange build next!

Let's temporarily swap roles!

enjoyed reading your progress so far. looks great and i'm sure it will ride even better

Back