Carbon seatpost in old frame?

pistolpedro

Old School Hero
Looking to fit a new seatpost to my bike

Frames is Reynolds 531 which uses a traditional bolt through the frame (opposed to a clamp) to secure the post

Question is can a carbon post be used on the is type of frame ? is it likely to be crushed as it is tightened,

the post I’m looking at is full carbon and not a wrapped alloy one

pete

Hi Hamster

The bike is pretty much all black (with a few polished bits here and there) and I am looking for a gloss black seatpost with polished clamp and no logos, I couldn’t find anything in metal which ticked all the boxes but the more i think about carbon post on this particular bike the more I like it :D plus the carbon weave is pretty subtle and looks black from a distance

I take your point about modern wheels on an old car however it doesn’t always look bad ;)

gre7ugxtzh59r4fuqz1ojmxp.jpg

But that's some kind of re-issue P1800 concept, not the original, surely?
The flush glass roof and tail detail looks all wrong :?

The only post I can think of is a USE, maybe also some of the wet look black Ritchey stuff

You could do it if you REALLY had to, assuming the post is the correct size of course.
The post will fail before the frame, which is good.

Thats great thanks Chris :D

might have fallen at the 1st hurdle though! took the post out tonight and measured it with a vernier original post is 26.9 new post is 27.2 will it fit

I took my post out of my other bike (27.2) and i couldnt get it in, saying that the original one seemed almost as hard (didnt want to force it as it my be coming back out later in the week)

Latest posts

Back