Zaskar resurrection(K.I.A.)

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
This is I believe is a 97 zaskar le. Its had a bit of a life before and sports a lovely dent and had a nice crack on the underside of the non dirve chainstay. I had seen it posted by big eck here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=zaskar and had been only talking to clockwork gazz and jimihendrix that a Zaskar would maybe make a nice ss project. Knowing the general feeling that cracked alloy frames are fubar I thought I would have a bash at resurrecting this one, the worst that would happen was a waste of time. So a few mails to Alex and I was sending a pair of cranks his way and a Zaskar was coming mine. Once I got it it didn't seem too bad at all, dent notwithstanding. Welded up the crack and gave the frame a wee once over with some brasso and it came up trumps. Built up from some bits lying around, got some new fork stantions from dyna and a post from CRC. Initailly I wasn't too impressed, looked a bit funny with the short seatpost and squat cockpit, also hadn't used straightish bars for a while. But was willing to give it a go. After its first long run yesterday I was pleasantly surprised handled really well and felt nice and planted and quick on the up. Anyway enough bable, I promise to keep this updated as to when and if it cracks again. :D Oh and I reckon the only change I'll make is to the bars and possibly stem something flatter and longer and swoopyier.

3492364942_eae8f18c9e_b.jpg

3492364968_f365a072cc_b.jpg

3492364932_86e2bf9f9f_b.jpg

All thoughts appreciated, the opinions on welding frames etc.

I think I might have a copyright infringement issue with this thread being called Zaskar Resurrected! :LOL:

That's another great job, Kaiser. I dig the red Maguras, too.

I love that you folks across the pond will give repairing an aluminum frame a go. These threads always seem inspiring to me...of course now I have a growing pile of "sort-of broken" parts that I might get around to fixing at some point... :oops:

Nice Z!...(even with that fat downtube!) :D

utahdog2003":22uqk5zo said:
I think I might have a copyright infringement issue with this thread being called Zaskar Resurrected! :LOL:

That's another great job, Kaiser. I dig the red Maguras, too.

I love that you folks across the pond will give repairing an aluminum frame a go. These threads always seem inspiring to me...of course now I have a growing pile of "sort-of broken" parts that I might get around to fixing at some point... :oops:

Nice Z!...(even with that fat downtube!) :D

hmm knew I'd seen it somewhere :LOL: and its fat dented downtube thanks :LOL:

Like it!!!

You told me before that you've painted the alu parts from the Magura's. (Mines are still allu grey)
Could you tell me how you did that paintjob?

Zaskar Girl":1fagaxr4 said:
Like it!!!

You told me before that you've painted the alu parts from the Magura's. (Mines are still allu grey)
Could you tell me how you did that paintjob?

Hi Zaskar girl, alas it was not me that told you about the magura's. Perhaps it was andy.l resident expert resto dude as seen here?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=magura

Hope this helps :D

wish i'd kept it now :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i hope the weld holds for you as it's such a nice looking bike , glad someone got some use out of it...... :D

big.eck":b5iihj6f said:
wish i'd kept it now :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i hope the weld holds for you as it's such a nice looking bike , glad someone got some use out of it...... :D

A few more thrashes should show up the weld integrity.

Back