Anyone heard of ?

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
John Atkins ?

I have just acquired an old road bike, needs a lot of tlc, nothing flash on her component wise, and think it'll go in the skip, but the frame looks reasonable , its a steel lugged frame maybe 531 ?

I have heard of a shop with the same name, Are they one and the same ? is it a shop special labled up ?

Anyone got any info ?

Never heard of them. Have you any photos? Steel lugged frame could mean 531c, but could also mean lead plumber's pipe.
I'd happily give you a few quid to post it to me rather than it going in a skip, even without seeing it. It's always nice to have a knockaround bike to lend out to people.

John Atkins was my LBS in Coventry. I used to spend hours in that place, and bought a Raleigh Randonneur from them in 87. (they talked me out of getting a Stumpie 'for touring')
They were quite a good shop and I believe they were into single speeds years ago, at least at the Leamington shop.
I think their frames were pretty respected, not totally sure about the quality, but they were certainly clued up on geometry.

The sons all went to my school, and Darren Atkins was the most skillful kid on a bike I'd ever seen. Used to think he'd have been a wicked Mountainbiker. He'd wag school and spend all day jumping brooks and tearing round the fields on his 'tracker', long before anyone had heard of MTBing.

Thanks for the replies , heres a photo or twp :)

Is it worth keeping... ?

P1020312.jpg

P1020311.jpg

P1020309.jpg

P1020308.jpg

Looks nice! Needs a lot of work though. Good luck getting that chainset off. :shock:
Does the song of the road call you?

I rather doubt that's 531 from the pressed dropouts and seatstays, but I'm pretty clueless about old road frames so.. could be.

That's travelled a fair way.

John Atkins was a useful cross rider BiTD. He opened a shop in Cov, a second branch opened lattery in Leamington but I'm unsure if Atkins was actually involved at that point. Darren Atkins now owns Ride in Cov. John Atkins Cov is now Coventry Cycle Centre, the owner is regsitered here. John Atkins Leam is still known by the same name, the owner is also a member here. They did sell frames for a period, they were lattery built by LA Cycles, the L bit (Lee Cooper) is still building. Unsure if that frame would've been built by them/him.

John":1h6hw8cm said:
John Atkins was a useful cross rider BiTD.

That's a bit of an understatement John. He was National Champion so many times it got a bit boring!

I remember seeing his back wheel a few times as he lapped me. :oops:

I'm sorry but I don't think the frame is anything very special. Looks like a mass produced one badged up especially with those lugs and seat cluster.

That is interesting. Regarding the cyclo cross, I think I've been mixing John up with Mick Ives who was also pretty handy wasn't he?! -Damn good veteran mountain biker also.

Back