Are these brakes the correct era?

joe1983

Retro Guru
Hi, I'm rennovating a 1970 Harry Hall (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56742) and the bike came fitted with Weinmann Type 500 quick release calipers front and rear. Everything else was Campagnolo from 1970 so far as I can make out.

Am I correct in thinking these brakes are a later addition? If so what would are the likely candidates for original calipers? Anyone want to swap the correct ones for these?!

Cheers,

Joe

They were definitely around in the 70s; very common on time trial bikes cos they were very light and cheap.

Weinmann 500's have been around since the late 40's/early 50's until at least the late 80's so OK for lots of builds.

At around 1970, I dont they were they were QR tho', but you could buy this as an aftermarket fitting later.
Do they have a nut + locknut at the front, or a plastic cover over the nut with a tiny interior spiggot looking out which allowed you to centre the caliper with a socket. Despite my poor wording, if its got the plastic bit, you'll know what I mean. These definitely were late 70's onwards.

Hi pigman, there is no plastic bit as you described only the conical locknut and a washer nut? Perhaps a pic will explain better than I can!

DSC00596.jpg

If anyone has any late 60s / early 70s campagnolo calipers and levers in excellent condition please let me know! (pref. record/s. record)[/img]

Ah thanks ned - correct era then. Got it into my mind that I want full campagnolo now though unfortunately! Oh, and they are in fantastic condition, a little bit of metal polish brought them up like new.

The correct Campag brake callipers for 1970 do not have Campag engraved on the arms and are incredibly rare - fetching typically $750-1000 on Ebay.

best regards

Hilary

fetching typically $750-1000 on Ebay.

Yeah, but I doubt there are hardly any cyclists in the UK who would pay anywhere near that sort of price, unless it was for "investment/speculation".

So buy them in the UK for 50GBP and then sell them on Ebay to Americans and the Japanese for ten times the price.

Back