French frame ~ very little info

Bobaganoosh

Retro Newbie
I have a 54cm Vitus frame, but it's not the popular 979 model.

This model is the 787, I think from the early 80's and I can find very little information about it.

If memory serves, French threading was different than Italian or English and I'm looking for a bottom bracket and crankset for it.

A) Can I just get a Phil Wood bb that is period correct with French threading?

B) This frame is painted, but aluminum would it be possible to have it stripped and anodized?

I'm building it as a single speed townie as we have miles and miles of paved trails here in Folsom Calif. (yes, near the prison).

Cheers,

I've got a futural 787, yes you can strip the paint, I have on mine. I am not sure about anodising though. Mine is now nude.

I will try look at my BB later, i have a suspicion the french had gone to normal threaded BB by the time these were released.

Thanks for the response, Mike

Did you clear coat your aluminum?

Also how does it ride?

Mine's going to be a single speed townie for mostly flat trails.

Cheers,

You could get it stripped and anodized if it's aluminium, but if you're doing this and converting it to a singlespeed why are you bothering to get a period correct bottom bracket? Shimano make one, or you might be able to fix the one you have?
Do you have any photos of the beast?

The frame came to me equipped with only a headset & forks, but no bb and no other equipment.

I'm not necessarily wanting to do it period correct - I thought I had to as equipment and components have changed so much over the years & from year to year.

I would really prefer to install something like a Phil Wood bb and some Campy cranks to fit it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mine is in the bonded bicycle thread here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51290&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Bottom bracket has no visible markings sorry. But one cup is plastic and the bike has 105 groupset with biopace rings.

Damn light too been riding my mountain bike to work after bursting a tub last week. I have to fix it.

PS. think you'll find it is late eighties my serial number ends in 89 which seems to gel with the age of the gear. I think vitus had sorted the bonds and lugs by then.

does the frame in question have cantilever bosses on it? my girlfriend has what we believe to be a 787 which does...

Latest posts

Back