Tim Gould's Team Peugeot Roberts White Spider

This is great stuff and looks really good as it is in used condition.

Will you go the restoration route or just replace worn out bits and ride as is?

I'm always a little jealous that so few pros were really tall although perhaps I could find one of Dave "The Vanilla Gorilla" Wiens' old bikes?

doctor-bond":2uxw4hbt said:
there is a nice war story on VRC about a chap who aparently would have taken bronze at Durango in 1990 - his bike failed and a certain Tim Gould passed him on the trail and into history.

Tim Rutherford riding for ritchey.

24pouces":c5snjdod said:
I remember Tim Gould with a grey peugeot-Ritchey and with a pace fork…
What a team : Philippe perakis, Tim gould… :shock:

Nice bike :cool:

that was the team Peugeot look in 1992

Thanks all for the responses. :D

I'm going to try and get in touch with Tim via the seller first, and if anyone on here is still in contact, let me know. Will keep the Gary Foord route in mind.

Good point on the paint - it would be good to know the difference between the blue scheme and the red white and blue: driven by different events or did they switch over at a given point? I also really need to know how many of these things were built per season - I'll try asking Roberts too.

On the build, my instinct is to do as little as possible. It has to be rideable, so worn parts replaced. These would be like for like unless research shows that they aren't correct (i.e later additions).

I'd prefer not to have to do the paint, but it's quite thin and there are some areas of bare metal. Yet, if I respray, then the worn-but-working parts (saddle, seatpost, levers) could look out of place. Hmmm -- will mull on this while I sort out the history. Any views welcome on this debate.

I'm also tempted to have two sets of 'clothes': one, 'as raced' with the original wheels saddle and steering; the other with replacement period kit that I can ride without fear of trashing.

:D

Good idea to have 2 different sets of bits-i'd live in fear of breaking stuff too.as for the paint,its not an easy job but it is possible to paint stuff then distress it slightly so it looks more original.the hot rod fraternity have been doing this for years to give a fresh car that 'barn find' patina

You asked for views on the paint so here goes.

Do NOT repaint this bike under any circumstances! If you do then it will just be a Tim Gould White Spider replica rather than one he actually rode. Of course touch up or treat any bare patches to prevent corrosion but otherwise just enjoy all that history (and of course some of the scratches won't have been made by Tim but that isn't my point).

I've commented before and will do so again - patina is king.

I'm really pleased I didn't repaint the Timmis bike, as Ed says let the history show. A gentle t-cut and wax will bring it up a treat.

As for riding, just enjoy it and ride it the same you would any bike, just save it for special occassions. These bikes were built for riding and yours looks robust enough to take a few more beatings yet!

Nice bike with an interesting past. I'm with Ed on this one, don't do anything with the paintwork, the damage and scuffs are all part of the bike's history. If it's structurally sound a bit of touching up will be fine.

The 'double strength' Christophe toeclips were a standard product made for Cyclo-Cross.

Tims' brother Julian is still around and I'm sure Tim isn't to far away. It would be good to see him back on the bike like Adrian did at Cannock.

Best of luck with the research.

I've been stripping it down and thinking about the build whilst carrying out a little gentle cleaning.

Ed/Sinett - I concur on the repaint debate. It will get a clean and a cut, and the exposed areas I'll touch up with clear laquer. I'm testing a batch on a small section of the fork.

One of the decals is perilous: faded and flappy. It will probably have to go.

Other rules are clean but only replace where necessary. So far it looks like I'll need:

new 2mm brake cables [Yo-Eddy has come up trumps: cheers squire :cool: ]
XT blocks;
rings and cogs;
jockey wheels;
hub bearings and cones;
seat binder bolt - the original appears to be a cast iron monster: any ideas for a sensible replacement gratefully received.
Pedals;
headset innards;
grips;
retrue wheels and replace a spoke or two.

It also needs a new BB. On this point I think I'm going to be naughty and put in decent light weight one. It'll be my little addition.

While extracting a stuck quill plug [wd40 and heat the tube], I noticed some interesting details on the fork. For the record:

happily, it carries the same serial number as the frame; it has columbus dropouts, and the steerer tube is made of a spirally reinforced tubeset - I'm assuming some sort of columbus.

Attachments

• Gould Roberts Fork (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts Fork (Custom).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Gould Roberts Fork rifling (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts Fork rifling (Custom).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Gould Roberts Fork dropout (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts Fork dropout (Custom).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 61
Back