Emmelle - yes they did make quality bikes once.

Remember back in 1990 when I had a Tufftrax and my pal had a Palisades our mortal enemies both rode Dolomites. All priced around the £370 mark I seem to remember. Obviously my mate and me thought (correctly ;) )our bikes to be far superior!

fredgassit":1q2yoos3 said:
OK fair enough, it ain't no 'yo eddy' but it wasn't supermarket tat either.

Ha ha ..... Point taken !! What I always remember about bikes like these was great components and nasty frames !! For example I had a Carrera from Halfords with XT throughout ( Inc those lovely little brake levers with the little clear window bit ;-) But the frame in all honesty was pants !! Reynolds but what bike wasn't built using Reynolds back in the day !!!!

Speaking of shit bikes, I wonder if the local thief still has my Holdsworth ??

:LOL:

Speaking of Carreras and Halfords:

I worked there while doing my A levels, bought a couple of Carreras, but once paid 50p (no sh*t), for a complete Quattro comp minus frame and fork, that's entire 1989 Deore XT II grouppo and wheels, all in top nick (insurance write off). I've still got the pedals!!

50p was a lot in them days, I was earning £1.84 an hour if I recall.

They once listed XT thumbies at £7.76 (each side) in the spares list, you could order them but never get them at that money. I think I did manage to get an XT seatpost (New) for less than a tenner once.

Oh happy days!

fredgassit":gs6wxayy said:
Speaking of Carreras and Halfords:

I worked there while doing my A levels, bought a couple of Carreras, but once paid 50p (no sh*t), for a complete Quattro comp minus frame and fork, that's entire 1989 Deore XT II grouppo and wheels, all in top nick (insurance write off). I've still got the pedals!!

50p was a lot in them days, I was earning £1.84 an hour if I recall.

They once listed XT thumbies at £7.76 (each side) in the spares list, you could order them but never get them at that money. I think I did manage to get an XT seatpost (New) for less than a tenner once.

Oh happy days!

Damn right !!!!

Was that the one with the grey marble effect frame :D

Did love that bike ;)

Back