Harry Quinn

Bishopsfinger

Dirt Disciple
The local police were having a charity auction of recovered/abandoned bikes last night and unsurprisingly it was 99% crap except this.
The shimano groupset dates it to the early 80's. Also came with sugino cranks and dia-compe brakes. Wondered if anyone could come up with a more specific date based on the frame number MCA1851. Sadly no stickers indicating what the tubing is. It should polish up nicely though and fits quite well considering the seat tube is 24.5" ctc
3491068558_fecdde7155_o.jpg

3491068560_6565db2483_o.jpg

Sorry to possibly dissappoint you but I don't think that is a 'proper' Harry Quinn built by the great man (or his associates). I believe it dates back to the time (mid 80's?) when the HQ brand was bought by Townsend (?) and used on all sorts of bikes of indeterminate origin. I think it was this type of 'name devaluation' that persuaded Harry to come out of retirement and start again in South Wales.

However, as you say it will polish up and be a useful bike - but sadly not as good as a real HQ.

I kinda though it was too good to be true when I first saw it as the frame number didn't start Qxxxx plus the fact that the police would have skipped this if I hadn't paid bottom dollar last night. Still musn't grumble for the price of 34 quid when the real dross was going for more.

Latest posts

Back