1993 DBR Dual Response

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
I thought I would post a couple of pics of my Dual Response, taken prior to the ill-fated attempt (!) over Cutgate in the Peaks last weekend.

Attachments

• DualResponseApril09.1.A.jpg
    DualResponseApril09.1.A.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,069
  • DualResponseApril09.2.A.jpg
    DualResponseApril09.2.A.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,067
These were cool but I see your problem trying to ride cut gate on it,these things pedalled like sh1te,more of an old skool DH bike :cool:

longun":ycd3sdcw said:
really like this :D looks even better at a cafe while munching pasties ;)

Yes, I meant to say that I'd met you both on the day :oops:

The pasty was very welcome. Mind you, anything would have tasted good the way I felt!

Peaks

What was the story with the trip over the gritstone then? ;) Bike looks nice, but weren't they a downhill bike- not recommended for uphill?

According to the MB-USA revue posted elsewhere they considered it to be a possible cross-country bike and Rory Hitchen, Nick Craig etc., when they rode for DBR, used them as such - but not for racing though. At the time it was probably the novelty of full suspension that encouraged this. It is a bit 'sluggish' going up (an understatement!) but I probably had the saddle to high for descending which made the handling a bit twitchy. It also has a very high bottom bracket which doesn't help. I'm not a very good descender on rough rocky trails - give me a smooth long descent I'm fine - so all this added together didn't make for a good experience!

As Lance says, it's the rider not the bike!

I've put 7-8 bars in the rear shock which is as much as I could get in, even with a track pump. The brochures seem to say that up to 15 bar is possible but you'd need a very good pump - and strong arms - to get that in in my opinion. The fronts have about 75psi. Any more and I think they're to stiff.

I wouldn't have said it was to bouncy at all. In fact, I might have had it to hard. I've no experience of FS bikes and had probably set it up completely wrong.

Everyone said that the weekend trail was testing, so prob not a fair test for a first outing, it was only at about 5PM when I was tired that i was really getting the hang of and enjoying my bikes handling.

For the high pressures you need a shock pump.Not trying to knock your bike,its just that those and the Sintesis were a very early FS design and even now some bikes need a fancy shock to stop them bouncing all over the place.Had a go on a Sintesi years ago and it ripped downhill as would your DB its just that it was pretty steady for anything else,not a problem really just not ideal for what you were using it for.

Latest posts

Back