What constitutes a retro bike or part?

Burt Young

Retro Newbie
Is it a certain year or a certain vintage of part? Ie some wine years are "better" than others just like some part years are better than others.

For example I have an almost full XT '98 (I think) groupset which was the last of the 8 speed XT iirc. Some would consider this to be retro, others would not.

So what would YOU consider retro?

this has been asked before & I dont think there really ever can be a fixed defintion on time scale.. BUT! I've kinda always fixed the end of the CNC machines/ anodnised parts era around the 96 or so era. Shortly around this time fully reliable components that didnt cost a pi$$ take fortune started appearing (marzoke Z1s being a classic example compared to the elastomer judys of 95)

Maybe a vague form of classification could be this:
If it works pretty badly, or is prone to early failure & breaking, but is staggering beautiful to look at & costs a pi$$ take fortune.. then its retro ;D LOL (obviously there are items that dont apply to this.. king headsets, old IRD seatposts.. but you get the general idea :D )

...& if anyone thinks I'm just totally taking the pi$$, I'm as bigga sucka for loving these retro parts as anyone ;)

Scant,

Your definition rules out my own bombproof Miyatas, Rocky Blizzard and much more beautifull canadian stuff and even Cunningham!!!!!! - to name only a few.

I guess it doesn't work.

This is tricky one.

The dictionary definition of retro is as follows
Main Entry: ret·ro
Pronunciation: 're-(")trO
Function: adjective
Etymology: French rétro, short for rétrospectif retrospective
: relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned

Clearly we're using retro somewhat differently, in this case it refers to something which is actually from 'back in the day' (whatever that means!).

For me a very very general definition of retro is anything built in the mid 90s or earlier. Certainly the parts and bikes covered by scant's definition are probably retro, but as elev points out there are many bikes and parts which fall outside this definition which are still definitely retro.

Back to your original point as fine and as workmanlike as an 8 speed XT gruppo is I would not say it's retro.

Back