What is a 1980's 8 speed 105 group worth

KINGCUTTER

Retro Guru
I want to sell this but i have no idea what it is worth so I want to get an idea as you need a price in the for sale area,it is a full group,front,rear mech,8 speed index down tube shifters,brake levers,wheel set mavic open cd with 105 hubs,8 speed cassete,chain all have 105 on them its all in good running order thanks in advace.

If it's 8 speed I suspect it's 90's. Sadly this stuff is not so sought after, even though it's seriously robust kit - very good for Audax etc.

You'd probably be better off selling the wheels separately. 8-speed stuff is still sought after somewhat, mostly by cyclo-tourist types. I recently sold some 105 8-speed down tube shifters for £25. If the calipers are the older side-pull/single pivot ones, they are rather sought after as they were amongst the best ever made.

That's a good point - as Shimano don't do simple sidepulls (if I remember right) they are wanted by the TT types as lightweight rear brakes.

otherself":3r27uyuk said:
You'd probably be better off selling the wheels separately. 8-speed stuff is still sought after somewhat, mostly by cyclo-tourist types.

Why would that be then? Firstly it's pretty much the same as ninespeed and secondly most of the tourists I know use MTB hubs, not 130mm road stuff.

Which reminds me anybody know where I can find a cheap 700c rear wheel with a 135mm OLN hub and a reasonably narrow rim? All I can find locally is stuff with a really wide rim that's being sold as hybrid specific.

Audax riders tend to use a lot of 130 OLN type bikes.
Generally they are older and CTC types, hence the description of tourers.

If you are riding 10k+ miles per year then you wouldn't want to faff with 9s or more.

hamster":1alac371 said:
Audax riders tend to use a lot of 130 OLN type bikes.
Generally they are older and CTC types, hence the description of tourers.

If you are riding 10k+ miles per year then you wouldn't want to faff with 9s or more.

I wouldn't call Audax anything like touring. Very different disciplines.

I know a few guys who ride all over the world and put in phenomenal riders and excepting the guy who uses Rolhoff they ride nine speed MTB groups. A couple of them swear that you don't need anything better than plain old Deore. The difference in strength and wear rates between 8 and 9 is not really noticable, it's the step to 10 where fragility becomes apparent which is why MTBs seem to have stopped at 9.

I'm not saying they are the same, just similar kinds of people do them - generally older, less swayed by fashion who stick to tried and tested kit.

otherself":sj080m89 said:
If the calipers are the older side-pull/single pivot ones, they are rather sought after as they were amongst the best ever made.

I disagree, They are the BEST ever made :)

Back