Lightweight XT dérailleur project

Dr.Robotnik

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I was sorting through my stuff last night trying to find a suitable dérailleur spring for my Proshift,when I found some donor parts in a Shimano RSX model RD-A410 (I think) and an old Shimano XT.

I robbed the spring for the Proshift from the RSX, and then realised I could do a short cage swap on the XT. Has anyone else done a cage swap on an old dérailleur?

Both the old RSX and XT were missing bits and it was good to put them together to make one decent dérailleur. Also back in the day we ran road bike mechs on our downhill bikes with a road cassette too.

I am going to polish the M737 up, add some fancy bits and see how much I can drop the weight over stock.

The XT M737 SGS model weighs 235 grams stock according to www.bikepro.com

Attachments

• Derraileur 002.jpg
    Derraileur 002.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,656
  • Derraileur 003.jpg
    Derraileur 003.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,656
Dr.Robotnik":1ef64esy said:
I was sorting through my stuff last night trying to find a suitable dérailleur spring for my Proshift,when I found some donor parts in a Shimano RSX model RD-A410 (I think) and an old Shimano XT.

I robbed the spring for the Proshift from the RSX, and then realised I could do a short cage swap on the XT. Has anyone else done a cage swap on an old dérailleur?

Both the old RSX and XT were missing bits and it was good to put them together to make one decent dérailleur. Also back in the day we ran road bike mechs on our downhill bikes with a road cassette too.

I am going to polish the M737 up, add some fancy bits and see how much I can drop the weight over stock.

The XT M737 SGS model weighs 235 grams stock according to www.bikepro.com

NEW XT-M737 is 25$

heh, heh Old Scool Hero

I've found a number of the shimano ones use identical rear plates,ive an stx one one the back of my 737
That said ,i have found that they sometimes catch the lower jockey so there must be some slight differences,but a couple of washers sorts it out.

So how light have you got it, You've had a few days now ;)

Biggest loss is that hanger bolt. swap for Alu
Alu pulley wheel bolts next as they're not too expensive along with the cable clamp bolt.
Loose the gear cable adjuster and do it at the shifter (as per modern mechs :() or at least drop the plastic bit and spring and trim the adjuster down bolt down to a minimum
Swap the high/low for grubscrews (or Ti grub screws if you really want)
Also the cage hanger bolt could go Ti but again is not a cheap option.

Next I would go for Dremel and drill, every weight weenie must put holes in things :LOL:

Seals, no weight weenie actually needs seals

^Well thanks for the interest. I haven't weighed it yet, as when I went to put the Ti main bolt in I found it was to long to fit. Hence a thread asking what it fitted in the other forum.

I have some alloy jockey wheels and bolts to go on, but can't get to the end of this until I get a replacement main bolt, as like you say, it is the biggest place for weight saving.

I'll update when I have time.

Cheers.

If indeed the shimano plates are similar you could possibly get some of the carbon stuff from ebay Not really retro though :?

Dr.Robotnik":2d692tzp said:
^Well thanks for the interest. I haven't weighed it yet, as when I went to put the Ti main bolt in I found it was to long to fit. Hence a thread asking what it fitted in the other forum.

I have some alloy jockey wheels and bolts to go on, but can't get to the end of this until I get a replacement main bolt, as like you say, it is the biggest place for weight saving.

I'll update when I have time.

Cheers.

I think that ebay shop did two sizes, one for pre '94 (ish) and one for after. Similar advert though. (Venhill one's).

Latest posts

Back