2003 Rocky Mountain Stratos restoration

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Not retro but I thought I'd share my restoration project for a bike for the missus. My work is no were near the level as some of you guys, but I'm proud of the outcome, and learnt to to work on some things that I didn't know how to do before. Plus the missus is quite pleased with her new rig.

The Stratos seemed to be a decent mid-high level light bike but in desperate need of some TLC. When I went to see the buyer, I could tell there was potential in the bike but would require a lot of elbow grease. I had to peel off two set of decals on the bike, most of which were peeled off but enough was left here and there to make it a big mess to deal with. some nasty left over red reflective tape on both the front forks and rear stays. SPD pedals seized to both crank arms.

Front and rear hub were terrible with grinding noises coming out of them when spun. also the headset was rough as well. when i took these apart, there was dark black goop which was thick as molasses and really difficult to remove. even found vegetation (thick grass or weeds) inside the rear hub. the whole bike looked like it was never serviced in it's lifetime.

Cleaned out all the old bearings and old grease, which was a big awful chore. Sourced new bearings, and cones for the hubs, and repacked everything with new grease. All of which I've never done before.

As for the pedals, i tried WD40, then some penetrating oil. even tried to heat up the crank arms. nothing would work. in the end I took the crank arms off the bike and viced them.

Cleaned and polished up the frame, got some touch up paint for some of the more obvious scraps. Created new decal lettering artwork and had a buddy of mine that cuts vinyl custom make them for me. Rocky Mountain I found on the web, and adjusted as needed for the downtube. There was one Stratos lettering on the left side that was somewhat intact which I used as a guide to build and spaced from RM lettering. And a new headtube crest that I orderd off ebay.

This is what the bike looked stock:

2003-Rocky-Mountain-Stratos-bikes.jpg

Completed restoration pic:

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 4,298
Pics of the condition of the bike from the seller! :(

Attachments

• 2rm3955.jpg
    2rm3955.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 4,299
  • 4rm3957.jpg
    4rm3957.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4,298
  • 1rm3959.jpg
    1rm3959.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4,298
More pics of what it looks like now. Several things I've updated from when how I first bought the bike. I changed the LX shifters to a set of Sram Attack Twist shifters, polished the brake lever body and painted the handles with Plasti-Dip grippy coating. Other things changed up and put on were a set of XT M739 v-brakes, XT M750 GS short cage rear mech, Bomber MX Pro w/ETA forks, Deore crankset, and a matching set of Rocky Mountain branded seatpost and low riser bar.

Attachments

• Os-IMG_0136.jpg
    Os-IMG_0136.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5,343
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 4,294
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 4,294
  • IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 4,294
Thanks Chris!

got my decals in the mail, and stuck it on the headtube. only prob is i ordered a few in the wrong size, and had to make another order! guess i'll stick a few on my car. :LOL:

only thing left is some decent pedals, which i'll probably rip off the etsx when i get it. and maybe the crankarms as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 5,243
Thanks! My wife is loving her bike. She never had one to call her own when she was growing up. In the last few months of riding, she's gotten much more comfortable on it.

I've done some more part swapping. It now has the Deore crankset, bottom bracket, Marzocchi Bomber Pro ETA, Rocky Mountain seatpost and riser bar that was on the ETSX-70 when I got it. It will also be getting a set of old XT parallel push v-brakes coming to replace the Avid SD5 v-brakes.

Looking pretty cool :cool: - what size frame is that, 13.5/14" ??

The only negative comment I'll make is to say that is one horrible looking saddle....

it's a 14.5" i believe. if it was a tad smaller, it would be a bit more ideal for her. but it's right at the borderline i think.

to me the saddle isn't bad. but yes, it's no flite. however what's on there now she's happy with and comfortable enough for her, so i'm not gonna change it out. also it's much better than the saddle i had picked up when i was trying to make the Blizzard work for her prior to getting the Stratos. i think this saddle alone weighs close to 2 lbs! :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4,758
Back