Today's tip find: Hifi p*rn!

Mission, Wharfedale, Audiolab and Quad are just brand names owned by IAG and made in a huffing great big factory in China

The Quad electronics were so badly made that they had to be re-manufactured by the Quad service staff in Huntingdon...

Audiolab AV processors are old TAG McLaren Audio technology (oh the irony...) with the latest models done by the new guys and some former TMA/ Audiolab staff.

Magnaplanars? You'd need a big amp capable of a zero Ohm load... n ;)

retrojon":392m5kzh said:
Can you find me one of those 90s B&O cd players with the slidey doors?

I promise to not call it hifi. :LOL:

Er - I have one :oops: I gave it to the GF (the B&O that is), she loves it (again the B&O)

Attachments

• B&O system.jpg
    B&O system.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,096
I've got some nice kit put aside for me ready for when I get the house finished.

They belong to a mate (fair few years older than me) who has owned them from new, but replaced them about 8 years ago with more modern stuff as he's moved on to cds and wanted things to integrate more easily with his 'home cinema' set-up.

The things sound amazing and I really should have picked them up off him by now before he changes his mind...

• Lecson AC1 pre-amp

• Quad 405 power-amp

• Linn Sondek LP12 with a diamond tipped Ortaphone cartridge

He made his own speakers BITD too, but these have past it TBH - too many years of abuse from kids and vacuum cleaners...

Will get some pics up of it soon, as it will probably be appreciated by a few on here by the sounds of things...

BoyBurning":31ykb6ot said:
I've got some nice kit put aside for me ready for when I get the house finished.

They belong to a mate (fair few years older than me) who has owned them from new, but replaced them about 8 years ago with more modern stuff as he's moved on to cds and wanted things to integrate more easily with his 'home cinema' set-up.

The things sound amazing and I really should have picked them up off him by now before he changes his mind...

• Lecson AC1 pre-amp

• Quad 405 power-amp

• Linn Sondek LP12 with a diamond tipped Ortaphone cartridge

He made his own speakers BITD too, but these have past it TBH - too many years of abuse from kids and vacuum cleaners...

Will get some pics up of it soon, as it will probably be appreciated by a few on here by the sounds of things...

The Lecson is a collectors item

I would sell the Linn while they're still worth a lot, they wont hold their value for much longer (they were always overpriced.)

The 405 is a good start - pretty happy with most speakers. From the list, this is from the late '70's early '80's.

A good recent pre-amp and a decent CD player will get you sorted.

legrandefromage":83kglr3i said:

I would sell the Linn while they're still worth a lot, they wont hold their value for much longer (they were always overpriced.)

The 405 is a good start - pretty happy with most speakers. From the list, this is from the late '70's early '80's.

Yes, the Lecson is pretty sought after.

Won't sell the Sondek as it sounds fantastic. Don't think they are that overpriced considering some of the other rubbish that sells at the same price.

Will probably be updating the 405 with some more-recent internals.

I have a NAD combination jobby and an Arcam player which whilst only mid-ish range will keep me going until I sell the bikes and get my NAIM set-up...!

BoyBurning":risqlm7v said:
legrandefromage":risqlm7v said:

Yes, the Lecson is pretty sought after.

Won't sell the Sondek as it sounds fantastic. Don't think they are that overpriced considering some of the other rubbish that sells at the same price.

Will probably be updating the 405 with some more-recent internals.

I have a NAD combination jobby and an Arcam player which whilst only mid-ish range will keep me going until I sell the bikes and get my NAIM set-up...!

Naim - :roll: ;)

405 - 'update the internals' .. only required if the capacitors have dried out, otherwise leave well alone. Theres too much snake oil regarding 'tweaks' and upgrades.

a humble Pioneer PL-12 will sound as good as a Linn ;)

legrandefromage":1ho0g6mo said:
405 - 'update the internals' .. only required if the capacitors have dried out, otherwise leave well alone. Theres too much snake oil regarding 'tweaks' and upgrades.

I'll bear that in mind - thanks.

They seemed pretty fine at last listen - so as you say, would probably just be change for changes sake...

Slightly OT: went to Grand Designs Live at the ExCel in London yesterday (excellent show if you like totty spotting), got chatting to a guy on the Bower & Wilkins (B&W) stand. I told him I had one of their old amps - Aura Evolution VA100 - which prompted a lovely long conversation about retro hifi and such things. Mean while Mrs Reki wandered off and spent loads of money behind my back.

Back