im going to marin county :)

stew-b

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
just booked a flydrive to california from san fran down to LA :D anyone got any recomendations?? looking at scenic places like yosemite,some time in san fran and no time in LA lol,would love to do grand canyon too but is it to out of the way?? cant bloody wait!!

Go to Santa Barbara / Montecito. I cant speak intelligently about the MTB'ing but the road riding is awesome, and the town is incredible.

Ive got loads of recommendations. I did a 7k mile road trip last year. How long you there for?

Cant really advise on the cities to be honest, but for scenery i could point in many directions! I had a great time in both S.F and L.A, but they are pretty accessible. If you have transport and free reign i would try to get further afield... but thats just me.

I would def drive over to Grand canyon if youve got the time, but not just for the canyon, try to get round monument valley and canyonlands national park. G.C is stunning. and have to go to appreciate the size BUT the red rock valleys of arizona and utah were so different to what id seen before they left me with better memories. very different to the cool greens/greys of the UK

dont underestimate distances though!!

If you go to Yosemite its also worth trying to also get to Bodie S.P i think. kind of north east of Yosemite.

i wont be doing any cycling lol :) i really really want to do the canyon but its so far out the way..i will have to try and plan a route.only got 2 weeks there and i dont think its gonna be enough :(

Spend as much time as you can in San Fran - it is an awesome city.
If you get the chance hire a bike and ride across the Golden Gate, the views are amazing.
Alcatraz is definately worth the visit.

And the Grand Canyon - well you have to experience it because words and pictures don't do it justice.

Very jealous :twisted: - it's been a few years since i've been stateside.

if there is one bike shop you must visit in SF its american cyclery.you want vintage, thats the place.

you can stop by my shop and veiw the bonty collection if you want :D

Coincidence...

We are planning to do the very same thing - an RV from SF across to Yosemite via stocking up in the Napa; back over to Santa Cruz where I hope to buy a Superlight from the factory and mail it to myself :cool: ; inland to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP (gotta ride down the Corkscrew - it turns my stomach inside out on the XBox!) and then hopefully an epic ride or two somewhere - so will be watching this thread for native ideas!

Neil

I personally found San Fran fairly rough, espically downtown after dark. take a worn out back tyre & skid the hell outta it down lombard street, had such a laff there on some hire bikes :LOL:

grand canyon is a fair old drive from LA across some real boring desert, but we did it confortably within a day. north rim significantly harder to get to, but even better views as its higher altitude. deffo worth seeing tho... thats the problem with the states, so much to see!
san fran, tioga pass, yosemite, death valley, vegas was a cool trip :)
monument valley at eastern end of death valley (remeber air wolf & all those westerns),... cool looking place but thats adding some serious time/mileage to the trip... hell any further west you may as well pop into durango & see ameybrook ;) hahaha (1 of these days I'll get to ride hermosa without snow!)

sh,t man I wanna go out there now... maybe interbike again this year :)

Back