Help with Marin frame numbers please!

mousemat":14nl85fe said:
My 1991 Pine Mountain is A20JE0074, it doesn't seem to fit with the formula does it?

my 1990 eldridges dont fit either.

one has the number m903 5?978

the other has two numbers m9133545 and m912030137

I spoke to Marin again regarding the different number sequences that were used.
They say that there were some variations across the years, but essentially the beginning and end never really changes.
The Factory is always first then the model and year. Different codes were used for the year. Don't forget that frames will have been made well in advance in the far east and then sprayed in the US a month later perhaps. So, your 1991 Marin may be a 1990 frame. Only a day seperates the years!!
The other constant is the final part of the code which is the frame number in production. The other bits within the code do alter and even Marin themselves can't remember them all. Why would they need to? It's not likely they'll be returned now.
I am not the most knowledgeable person to ask, but I give the knowledge I have, which came straight from Marin themselves. I only have one steel frame, so the conversation was brief, as they could tell me straight away about my particular code. I didn't need to ask any further for each of the years they produced frames as they used different coding techniques. My Titanium frames are all different and do not all carry Marin codes.
Feel free to call ATB Sales and have an in depth conversation regarding your particular code. I'm sure they'll oblige.

Acccording to that formula the marin no. ive seen for a bbear valley says its a eldridge grade frame?

M40KE0036

Mark

:) Nice informations...
Yes it seems there some variations according to the models and the years, because it doesn't work for mine...R89MT128 TET... Can I suppose 89 is for the year?...and I know TET is for the teesdale bike...But for the rest...??

EDIT: I didn't realise it was an old post :roll:

I wonder if they ran short of frames for bear valley and badged a eldridge frame up as bear valley?, i think i read that the eldridge is i slighly higher spec frame?.
Any opinoins on this before i make a play for the bike?
Thnx

Mark

hamster":3mt4cw1q said:
I thought that the Bear Valley SE had the lighter frame.

I think the bear valley se and eldridge grade frames were the same.
If i follow the formula then the 4 is an eldridge not bear valley then that would explain it they may have used the eldridge frames for the bear valley se :D , hence the same frame spec in the old cataloges.

Mark

You could be right with the frame 'sharing'.

Before the BVSE era (i.e. 90 - 91) I 'think' the frames from the BV upto the pine mountain were the same. The geometry change was palisades to BV, the tubing change was pine mountain to team marin.

The introduction of the BVSE shifted the lower change over point, not sure about the upper ?

My code M904010468 based on the info I posted further up the thread says that mine is a PM :?

WD :D

Mark2260":rlzwsl9o said:
hamster":rlzwsl9o said:
I thought that the Bear Valley SE had the lighter frame.

I think the bear valley se and eldridge grade frames were the same.
If i follow the formula then the 4 is an eldridge not bear valley then that would explain it they may have used the eldridge frames for the bear valley se :D , hence the same frame spec in the old cataloges.

Mark

That's what I understand too!

Back