YES, I did it!

Inigo Montoya

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
finally after 1 year my front mech works the way its supposed to. even shifts at heavy load! i'm over the moon! i read so many different how-tos, searched the web for hours but no luck. until i repositioned the derailleur today (again). proper height and angle seems to be the key. main issue was that i couldn't shift to the smalest ring at heavy load. i turned the derailleur inwards a bit et voila. took the bike for a small ride. everything worked flawless. awesome! :LOL:

I had the 'rubbing sound' coming from my front mech a couple of days ago.
After turning the crank slowly and watching how the chain went through the cage i was sure it was touching it with the crank at the 10 o clock position,but for the life of me i couldnt work out why
I after resetting the mech High/low several times ,adjusting the cable and general faffing about without any success,I rotated the front mech about a millimetre and the noise stopped

:D Oh Joy
I was suprised that such a tiny adjustment could make that much difference,the complete opposite to the rear that a blind child could set up.
--------------------------------
I dont enjoy fettling front mechs,they usually work worse after ive adjusted them :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Most front mechs work OK if you make sure that the outer cage is parallel with the chainrings. I've come across a few that have to be lined up on the inner cage. Not sure whether the design makes them like this or if they've not been made correctly though.

Personally I never have problems setting them up. It gets annoying at work though as everyone gets me to set up the front mechs. :roll: If they did it more often then they'd know how to do it and wouldn't have to hassle me about it. ;)

Yay! My 1000th post! :LOL:

Indexing front mechs is just such a stupid idea. :D
All the supposed advantages are outweighed by the disdvantages of rubbing, grinding, not quite shifting etc.

It's not exactly difficult to feel the difference between chainrings is it? :roll:

Back