Campag/Sachs Ergos

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Following on from another thread but rather than hijcak it I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas Re upgrading to 9 speed. I have a set off old pointy 8 speed Ergos. Would be so much more useful as 9's. Rumour is that the pointies can't be upgraded but the above suggests ther wise.
Actually they aren't technically Campag. Sachs badged. Carbon BB logo's . Have been told that that makes them Chorus spec. Having said all that if they are of any use or value they could be sold to fund some modern shifters.

I think the key problem is that the Sachs are Shimano spaced rather than Campag spaced so I doubt there are the sorts of spares out there to convert them, on the plus side I'd love a set of Sachs ones if you do upgrade and want to recoup some money....

Yes, some where , C+ I think years ago, I read that they were Shimano spacing. Been using them with 8 speed free wheel and Campag 8 speed quite happily though. To be honest I would shift them purely to go a bit more modern and a swap for either Campag or Shimano 9 speed stuff of any quality would be good. Or sell but no idea of value, any examples?

I think that it is unlikely that Campag did any reworking of the insides beyond the different (Shimano) cable pull.

Pointy top ergos are rebuildable to 9s. I have a set of 96 Records which are exactly that.

The best people to talk to are Mercian Cycles, who hold lots of Campag spares and offer a rebuild service.

Check if you can get them done to the post '01 cable pull per click as the earlier mechs are getting thin on the ground these days and tend to command highish prices.

Back