Hello

Steve G

Dirt Disciple
I have just joined up and wanted to say hello. I've always enjoyed cycling and used to ride BMX's during the 80's. My Mother and late Grandfather were keen cyclists and I have recently taken charge of their old bikes.

My Mother used to ride a BSA Tour of Britian which is from the early 50's. It's in a bit of a state and I hope to restore it.
My Granfathers bike has a Ferris frame and has a fixed wheel. He looked after this even though he couldn't ride it although he was still riding in his 80's.

I'm not sure what to do with this as it has an interesting history. It was originally built for Gerry Burgess (GB Brakes) and my Grandfather got hold of it some time after. It has been re-painted but you can just see the original makers transfers underneath. It would be nice to put it back to original but would loose it's history so I might just make it rideable again.

My Grandfather Harry Cox

HarryCox.jpg

welcome :) clean it up and ride it. It's a family heirloom. Worth more to you than humble pound notes with all the history etc. Show a pic when you get chance

Hi there.
Yes I will take a picture at the weekend. I's got mud guards on it at the moment and a saddle bag suport. I will clean the dust off of it at least.

I'm looking for some tyres to go on it as the ones on it are in a bit of a state. The ones on it in the picture are skin walls of some sort, it's got Michelin ones on it now, probably fitted some time in the 80's. Most that I have seeen recently are all black or have modern looking patterns on. I will have to have a look around.

Hi and welcome. The BSA T of B sounds interesting. Is it in the black/red/white finish like the team bikes? I have always wondered who built the 'proper' BSA race team frames as I can't really see BSA doing it themselves. They had some very good riders in the team.

The Ferris sounds interesting too. I don't know anything about them and Classic Lightweights site (www.classiclightweights.co.uk) doesn't include them in either 'Builders' or 'Readers' Bikes'. Once you've managed to do it up a bit they may be interested especially with the Gerry Burgess connection. Do you have any more history for it?

By the way, when was the photo of your Grandfather taken? If it's in the 'Black Tights' era of time trialling he was being a bit daring having his sleeves rolled up above his elbows! Could have been disqualified - or even suspended!

I think the bike my Mum had was just a copy of the Tour of Britian one. I have an advert from 1953 when Tiny Thomas won the Tour of Britian of that year so it must have ben made some time after that. It's mainly blue, there might have been a choice though.

I found some info on Ferris here http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... ritish.htm.

My step father knows someone who had contact with Gerry Burgess. He asked about the bikes history and was a bit surprised my Grandfather had it. He had donated it to a technical college, who didn't have a use for it and sold it on.
The picture was taken in Windsor Great Park but I'm not sure of the year. It might have been just after the war. The cycling for the olympics was held in Windsor Great Park in 1948 so it might have ben something to do with that.

Steve G":1ul0hwgs said:
I think the bike my Mum had was just a copy of the Tour of Britian one. I have an advert from 1953 when Tiny Thomas won the Tour of Britian of that year so it must have ben made some time after that. It's mainly blue, there might have been a choice though.

I found some info on Ferris here http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... ritish.htm.

Somewhere in an old mag I think I might have an advert for the BSA T of B bike. I'll have a look soon. I've now thought that they used this name for quite a few years, possibly even into the Raleigh times.

Thanks for the Ferris link. I had a feeling I'd seen something somewhere at some time - and this must be it. There may also be some ads in old mags that I have. I'll have a look for these also.

If the photo was taken in the park then he may not have been racing, just training, so the rolled up sleeves would be OK :)

I think that if he was competing it would have been in a club event. I'm guessing the year, he couldn't remember when I asked him.

I've finally got round to sorting this bike out. I got hold of some Kenda 26x1 1/4 amber wall tyres which are about as close as you can get now.
I have stripped and re-greased everything, fitted a better spare bottom bracket spindle and new cotter pins.
I have also found some new cloth handlebar tape. I stripped the old stuff off including a few bits of innertube (for shock absorbing) but found that the original bars were in a bad way. They are steel and have gone rusty over the years. Cloth tape isn't such a good idea when it gets wet !
For now I have fitted some spare alloy ones and re-fitted the brake lever.

I went for a little ride just to see what having a fixed wheel is like and found it 'interesting' ! Not sure I fancy trying a steep hill until I am more used to it.
Hopefully I will fit the handlebar tape tomorrow and take a few pictures.

Latest posts

Back