Help with how to build up my frame

No need to sand between the primer coat and the top coat, just blast on an even coat of primer then as many coats of top coat as you can building it up with thin layers, if you are using car touch up rattle cans you will find the paint will chip fairly easily in use, Plasticote clear laquer is an acrylic that is a bit harder than car paint and can be used over the top of it, i just used touch up laquer though.

Here's my Clockwork respray thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 80&start=0

If you are buying the bits and building the frame from scratch the order i'd do it would be , headset, bottom bracket, fit forks, stem, seatpin, bars, wheels, crankset, then running gear (mechs, chain etc), saddle, then finaly brakes, this way it look's like a complete bike as soon as possible.

Anything you are not sure about (component sizes etc) just ask as there is plenty of Kona experts on here.

Best of luck ;)

richi78":4342mb14 said:
1 primer and 2 paint. We didnt use any laquer.

Ok cool haven't got frame yet but will probably give it a go when i get it. I am a painter and decorator by trade so hope to do a ok job.

jimihendrix":1tch7qk2 said:
No need to sand between the primer coat and the top coat, just blast on an even coat of primer then as many coats of top coat as you can building it up with thin layers, if you are using car touch up rattle cans you will find the paint will chip fairly easily in use, Plasticote clear laquer is an acrylic that is a bit harder than car paint and can be used over the top of it, i just used touch up laquer though.

Here's my Clockwork respray thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 80&start=0

If you are buying the bits and building the frame from scratch the order i'd do it would be , headset, bottom bracket, fit forks, stem, seatpin, bars, wheels, crankset, then running gear (mechs, chain etc), saddle, then finaly brakes, this way it look's like a complete bike as soon as possible.

Anything you are not sure about (component sizes etc) just ask as there is plenty of Kona experts on here.

Best of luck ;)

Wow just looked at your thread how the hell you do the two colours, your a pro!!!

rojo":3iu03qbi said:
Wow just looked at your thread how the hell you do the two colours, your a pro!!!

Not really, it's just using an on/off technique with the can, cans vary though, some are more splattery than others, Halfords cans are pretty good with a nice fine spray and decent pressure, it's also easier to fade a dark colour into a light colour than the other way around ;)

jimihendrix":1t050zbx said:
rojo":1t050zbx said:

Not really, it's just using an on/off technique with the can, cans vary though, some are more splattery than others, Halfords cans are pretty good with a nice fine spray and decent pressure, it's also easier to fade a dark colour into a light colour than the other way around ;)

Think i will have a look at halfords and see what colours they have, i like the look of white kona frame so may well go with that. How do you put the stuff on to strip the old paint colour off??

Decent cable and outer cutter will save you time ,sweat and frustration ,they are without a doubt the best investment you'll make in your tool collection

Park mini chain brute

other than that ,get the £24.99 bike repair kit from lidl ,that has all the other bits that get used infrequently,such as bb remover/fitter,cassette tool spoke key H/set,hub and pedal spanners along with the ever important chain-whip,spoke keys ,levers.

I try to build up using only allen key bolts as this saves having to carry an extensive tool kit .
1 multitool,a pump and a repair kit covers it all ,on your average day out

Thanks for that will look at getting the kit. Am i best getting retro parts to go on frame?? What bits are best??

rojo":1wzsorws said:
Thanks for that will look at getting the kit. Am i best getting retro parts to go on frame?? What bits are best??
Find a groupset you like and stick to it,then match the bits ie s/post,stem,and bars by one company[say controltech or kore]
My torus build started life as a bit of bling with 3dv cook cranks ,an amp F4 fork and paul boosters
It looked pretty poo and everyone agreed :LOL:[they're not shy here]
Changing to xt m739 groupo and a regular fork made a massive difference to the overall look,its better for it :cool:
XT m735 is pretty retro as it goes and can be hard to get ,so that makes for a good project, tracking it all down
Buy expensive-sell cheap,its the retrobike way :LOL:

No matter how you build it or what you use ,someone here wont like it or will query your choice of stem angle/seat position.
Dont be disheartened ;)

Back