brake lever postioning on road bikes

I was always told to have the bottom f the lever level with the bottom of the bars and the bottom stretch of the bars level. Must admit I am struggling to find a nice position where the levers are comfortable on the tops but still accessible on the drops.

Nice pic here showing Yatesy & some young upstart - he`s still on downtube shifters & the ergo levers behind are so much higher - I do beleive he was known for liking them low & a bit asymmetric.

Attachments

• yates.jpg
    yates.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 952
julianm":hl72v7c4 said:
Nice pic here showing Yatesy & some young upstart - he`s still on downtube shifters & the ergo levers behind are so much higher - I do beleive he was known for liking them low & a bit asymmetric.

awesome pic....yates was ALWAYS my favourite rider..maybe that is why I had them a lot lower too...as myself and riding buddy thought he was the dogs bolx

The 'Upstart' still uses shallowish bars and has his levers at a sensible position compared to a lot of riders in the peloton.

losidan":2izq1voq said:
last year watching the tdf I noticed that the riders seem to have their bars and consequently brake levers in a very high position....to the point that it looks positively unrideable to me.....here is an example with stuart o grady:
http://i2-images.tv2.dk/i/33/12027333-0 ... d8841.jpeg

when i used to ride road everyone always had a much lower position....
what's the craic?

from my experience riding 'cross, higher levers give a bit better control and the shape of Shimano STIs suit it pretty well. The Stuart O'GRady pic looks like it might have been taken in a Cobble-y spring classic, where extra control is needed? However, I couldn't ride them on the road like that all the time, but you do see some massive differences in bar angle and brifter position with the pros. That Sean Yates pic is nuts - that's the lowest I have ever seen! :p :?

Latest posts

Back