Help with how to build up my frame

richi78":3vp1zfdq said:
Good luck with the build and remember to enjoy it!

I agree with the stand suggestion (although I havent followed it myself, it would have made my builds so much easier!)

Also - http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp - is a great resource. I think it has pretty much all of the Park Blue book, but its free and you can just print stuff off as you need it.

I would suggest getting some wheels and a fork as your first purchases. At least then you can put them together and it will look more like a finished bike.

My first build was turning my 95 Hahanna into a white singlespeed.

I saw your thread that looked a brill bike at the end, did you respray your frame???

yeah - Me and my dad did it in his garage with some primer and a couple of cans of paint. However, the finish is far from great and is already looking decidedly dodgy. When time and money (and finishing my HOT project) allows, I'll likely be getting it powder coated or professionally resprayed to get a better, more durable finish.

That being said, I'm glad I gave it a go myself and I'm still very happy with the bike.

Oh and another piece of advice, or more a word of warning, a project never really gets finished. I cant seem to stop fettling mine!

richi78":vuoq3t09 said:
yeah - Me and my dad did it in his garage with some primer and a couple of cans of paint. However, the finish is far from great and is already looking decidedly dodgy. When time and money (and finishing my HOT project) allows, I'll likely be getting it powder coated or professionally resprayed to get a better, more durable finish.

That being said, I'm glad I gave it a go myself and I'm still very happy with the bike.

Oh and another piece of advice, or more a word of warning, a project never really gets finished. I cant seem to stop fettling mine!

Could you either post on here or pm me how you did the respray like stripped the old paint off etc. As i think i may give it a go.

to be honest we did a really half arsed job of it.

We didnt strip the old paint off, instead we just keyed it to remove the laquer and get a rough surface. Wiped it down with some white spirit to remove any dust. Then gave it a couple of coats of primer, letting it dry in between and then 2-3 coats of white car paint - again letting it dry completely between coats. I masked off the bottom bracket as I didnt have the tools to remove it and we were rushed for time (it was over xmas and I had to fly back to New York the next day!)

If I were to do it again, I would use Nitromors to remove the old paint. Clean up the surface and then prime and finish it in a similar way but leaving a lot longer between coats.

I'm sure there is a better way to do it and I am very far from an expert on it!

bigdavevw":1du2w42g said:
tools, spanner set, allan key set, adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, rags, gloves, grease, cable cutters, bisquits and tea, and a big ass hammer!

depends on ur budget what parts to buy.

i built mine for £69

:cool:

Agree with this - building a bike is alot easier than you think. Just have patience, a friend or two who can help with advice and the odd tool and a manual and you'll be on your way.

I'm a newcomer relatively to this bike building lark and I love it!

richi78":a9377a7b said:

We didnt strip the old paint off, instead we just keyed it to remove the laquer and get a rough surface. Wiped it down with some white spirit to remove any dust. Then gave it a couple of coats of primer, letting it dry in between and then 2-3 coats of white car paint - again letting it dry completely between coats. I masked off the bottom bracket as I didnt have the tools to remove it and we were rushed for time (it was over xmas and I had to fly back to New York the next day!)

If I were to do it again, I would use Nitromors to remove the old paint. Clean up the surface and then prime and finish it in a similar way but leaving a lot longer between coats.

Do you have to key the surface in between coats and do you have to put a final coat of something to seal and finish it off??

CAS":1zgag68w said:
bigdavevw":1zgag68w said:
tools, spanner set, allan key set, adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, rags, gloves, grease, cable cutters, bisquits and tea, and a big ass hammer!

depends on ur budget what parts to buy.

i built mine for £69

:cool:

Agree with this - building a bike is alot easier than you think. Just have patience, a friend or two who can help with advice and the odd tool and a manual and you'll be on your way.

I'm a newcomer relatively to this bike building lark and I love it!

None of my mates that used to be into biking are into it any more so think it will be a project on my own :cry: :cry:

rojo":2xp42hns said:
richi78":2xp42hns said:

Do you have to key the surface in between coats and do you have to put a final coat of something to seal and finish it off??

I think you need to gently sand the surface after you prime it to ensure a better finished surface, but not really sure. You'd be better off having a search on respraying to see if the topic has been covered before or even posting up a new thread.

As I said, we bodged the job and got a half decent finish. We didnt laquer it which is why its already looking rather tatty.

richi78":1g25i7tj said:
rojo":1g25i7tj said:
richi78":1g25i7tj said:

I think you need to gently sand the surface after you prime it to ensure a better finished surface, but not really sure. You'd be better off having a search on respraying to see if the topic has been covered before or even posting up a new thread.

As I said, we bodged the job and got a half decent finish. We didnt laquer it which is why its already looking rather tatty.

Ok will see if anyone else has any ideas of how to do it. How much is primer, paint and laquer??

Latest posts

Back