1990 Marin Eldridge Grade (updated 23/4 nearly finished)

Couple of questions...

Hey chap - outstanding job on the respray!

Can you answer me a couple of Qs?

Firstly, is the colour that you used for the forks similar to the one that would have been used on my 92 Eldridge? Kind of a flouro red rather than orange! If so, could you tell me what paint you used?

Secondly, you say you did the decals on your own PC! What stock did you print onto?

Re: Couple of questions...

Weon":6ydjgxfi said:
Firstly, is the colour that you used for the forks similar to the one that would have been used on my 92 Eldridge? Kind of a flouro red rather than orange! If so, could you tell me what paint you used?

Secondly, you say you did the decals on your own PC! What stock did you print onto?

1) the paint is tricky as looking at the 92 catalouge, the eldridge appears to have a very bright red paint like a fire engine, and the pine mountain is clearly orange. However the stem off your bike shown in your avatar looks like a very orangey/red which looks identical to the colour my eldridge was/is.
If you look on page 2 you can see an old stem next to the newly painted one showing the colour match. The paint i used was Plastikote fluoro orange from B&Q. Colour is very subjective so best just to do a sample.

2)Most of the stickers where printed on inkjet water slide decal paper from computer crafty. its availible in clear or white backgrounds. there is a picture of them printed ready for cutting out a few posts above.
the plain white decals such as the "eldridge" toptube logo where printed in reverse on the back of white sticky back vinyl then cut out with a scalpel.

hope this helps.

prof farnsworth":1kv0o3iz said:
1) the paint is tricky as looking at the 92 catalouge, the eldridge appears to have a very bright red paint like a fire engine, and the pine mountain is clearly orange. However the stem off your bike shown in your avatar looks like a very orangey/red which looks identical to the colour my eldridge was/is.
If you look on page 2 you can see an old stem next to the newly painted one showing the colour match. The paint i used was Plastikote fluoro orange from B&Q. Colour is very subjective so best just to do a sample.

2)Most of the stickers where printed on inkjet water slide decal paper from computer crafty. its availible in clear or white backgrounds. there is a picture of them printed ready for cutting out a few posts above.
the plain white decals such as the "eldridge" toptube logo where printed in reverse on the back of white sticky back vinyl then cut out with a scalpel.

hope this helps.
Cheers chap - plenty there for me to check out. Got a B&Q just down the road so will check out their paint stock! I know what you mean about the paint colour though - I think over time it fades to more of an orange but it was def. more red when new.

Weon":rnubjmvq said:
I think over time it fades to more of an orange but it was def. more red when new.

I thought the same but when i removed the bars from the stem you could see the original colour where it had been protected from the sun by the clamp, and although the rest of the paint was alot lighter the paint that had not faded was still very orangey.

you are right, they do fade alot!

Was discussing how to re-paint my '90 Eldridge on here recently (actually on the general forum) but anyway, cleaned it up yesterday with a wire kitchen pad & lots of slightly diluted car shampoo. Then gave it a wipe over with silver/grey colour tinted car wax polish. It looks a lot better. Might just touch up the worst chips & rebuild it with the patina of nearly 20 years of life for all to see. Pity I didn't decide that before I peeled off the original "21 speed hyperglide" chainstay protector & the little Marin sticker on the seatstay bridge!
Definitely need some stickers, several are missing incl the "eldridge" top tube ones. Prof F - would you sell me some??
Got to true the wheels, service the hubs & headset, get a new bb & then can start assembly.
Caro & I bought our 1st mtb's in Feb '90 (Saracen Traverses) & in Oct '93, obsessed with mtb'ing, we visited Marin County with our bikes (by then Trek 7000's) as part of my 1st trip to the USA. Rode all around Mt Tam one morning, Hoo Koo E Koo trail etc & then just as we were heading back to the car to move on we came across the Eldridge Grade trailhead. No time to ride much of it but I ventured down it a little just to say I had & to get some photos. Magic. Will never forget it.

I couldnt resist :

DSC03365.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03370.jpg

DSC03371.jpg

DSC03376.jpg

DSC03377.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

DSC03388.jpg

WD :D

Great pics. Mine are well pre-digital & I don't have a scanner but maybe I should borrow one & post some up. Got Moab shots too.
Anyway - here's pic of my frame. As usual the camera has flattered it. The forks are not that red. Touched in some chips & scrapes earlier with grey anti rust primer, a pretty good match but the overall colour is far from even & its a bit smooth, rather than textured. Will see if I can live with it. Missing several decals, top tube especially.

Attachments

• marin.JPG
    marin.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 3,192
  • P4280002.JPG
    P4280002.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 3,192
I am not sure but this bike may be a 1990. I got it on a local flea marked for 10 us, here in Norway, its kind on not used and looks fantastic, except the seat, i belive all part are authentic from it was made, a couple scratches in the paint, but all over very nice.

The colours are stunning, very bright, almost neon orange and purple.

the serial number is M905010685

I also have a tred "Marin palisades trail - what year?"

Attachments

• hel fra siden.jpg
    hel fra siden.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,876
  • bak gir 2.jpg
    bak gir 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,876
  • marin bilder.jpg
    marin bilder.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,876