Road Trip

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Took the Formula for a spin around the airport on Sunday - as it's the only bike in the stable that is fully functional. I must resist tinkering with this one or I'll be forced to start running....

Neil

Attachments

• Orange at Ringway.JPG
    Orange at Ringway.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 2,510
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Orange looks good, glad it's getting some use. Ever find out the story behind it?

Please take that mtb guard off though. Please. If you need a clip on guard the sks race blades are what you need on a road bike....

Heaps of other mtb manufacturers did road frames. Marin, Kona, Sanata Cruz, GT etc etc. That Mountina Goat is a touring frame IIRC.

hey, looks good!! Are they original forks?

..but where are those brakes pointing?

sks race blades are what I use and they work pretty well after a bit of bending :D

A few of the mountain bike brands brought out road bikes, Marin, Bontrager, Ellsworth, Rocky Mountain...check out this ickle picture of an Allsop beamed Rocky...

Wedge.jpg

Stu

Bi Curious!

Well road crew, you best be making me a hybrid section to live in - because I am planning straight bars cut courier short (Hot Rods - natch), thumbies and cross style brakes on Manitou 700c forks! Probably going to have a suspension post too...

Lord knows what you lot are going on about bladed mudguards - I go all blind when I see road bikes in the LBS!

Confused of Cheshire
:LOL:

That Orange is lovely, keep it as it is (minus the rear guard as commented above and with the bars rotated so that the bottom of the hook is horizontal).

Although it's a crying shame to alter it, I assume that you only intend to have a canti on the front, you'll have to use a road caliper on the rear which may well look odd, or get canti bosses brazed on (plus respray etc.).

Why not keep it as it is and get an old tourer or cross bike and do your planned modifications - both would have far greater clearances if you wanted to venture offroad and the tourer would certainly have braze ons for standard guards, possibly the cross bike too (although not if it is a 'pure' race bike).

Get a cross bike - you know you want to!

More from Orange County

Apologies to any latent roadie fascists, but as a complete non-roadie the idea behind my ownership of an Orange Formula was always going to be tongue-in-cheek, much along the lines of the factory themselves (who can hardly have thought they were going to clean up on the roads...).

Hence the 'odd' revisions to suit myself... Syncros road stem, cut Hot Rods, Avid levers (I've really come to love Avid this year - their products are invariably so well thought out and, shock, they always work!), an XT post and short carbon bar ends. Once I get a long enough stem for the Manitou 700cs then they'll be on there too...

Having skated unintentionally through one too many mini roundabouts with the original set up, at last I am comfortable and safe - at 46, it's rather too late to get down on the drops in a hurry!

Neil

PS. How come I never see anyone on the drops anyway - what's the percentage of time they are used in this manner?? 1% in the shop?!

Attachments

• orange county 1.JPG
    orange county 1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,439
That's fairly true- most folks use the hoods, or the flat of the bar and tuck down into the wind almost anywhere but the drops!...................but more importantly, is your orange some kind of Detective bike, investigating the suspicious deaths of other cycles??

Cheers,
Dav

Latest posts

Back