old style hubs/modern kit

tozi321

Dirt Disciple
Sorry if this is a common query,I had the rear stays spread to -I think 130mm-it looks like-and a modern 8 speed cassette installed,what I really wanted was the modern cassette,but on a set up that allows me to use the original wingnuts,or at least some sort of wingnut,the bike shop thought this pretty tricky,and I must say the shop is excellent,well versed in old school stuff-if this is doable I thought I might aquire the bits in the summer for a refit in the winter,I wondered if there was an engineered solution-anyone out there done this?

You would need to replace the axle with a longer solid one. Most cheapo bikes would be suitable donors. Your LBS bits drawer or the local tip would be a good place to get one!

The only downside would be that the solid axle is less strong compared to a QR axle, as it's not held in compression. However, for a road bike that's no big issue and let's face it 90% of the bikes on the planet probably have solid axles!

It's hard to work out what you're after. So you want to use an old style hub with wingnuts but fitted with a modern cassette, or do you want to use wingnuts instead of a skewer on a modern cassette hub?

sorry-didn't really make myself clear-I want the retro look,ie wingnuts,which the bike had originally,but with a hub that can take an 8 speed cassette,I didn't think it would be possible to replace the modern skewer with some sort of adapted wing nut because of the thread sizes etc.,so I guess if solid axles are relatively easy to change for hollow ones then that would be the way to do it.The other point I'm curious about is,does a 9 speed cassette take up more width between the drop outs,the 8 speed one currently in place leaves next to no clearance at the smallest cog.thanks for the interest.

A hollow to solid ( and vice versa ) is easy ( use the right tools, watch out for stray bearings blah blah blah ). Nine speeds leave the same tight space as eights but with the extra axle width of a solid gives you leeway to plop in a 1 or 2mm washer behind the driveside conenut to give you a little breathing space.
Tell us how you get on.

Thanks.Sorry for dunce question-the hubs are shimano tiagra,do i need to use shimano solid axles or are these things pretty universal?

Also need to be aware of difference in thread sizes..... Not likely to be a problem - but MIGHT be.

I'm sure current Shimano rear axle thread is the common 10mm x 1mm, but old wingnuts might not be.

Hmm, that's a good point. Older hubs and wingnuts would be Imperial - you might need to find some old French stuff or sililar.

Back