Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Just when you think it can't get better, the man ups the stakes once more.

I doft my cap to you WD Pro.

Yes, I know it was in need of an update :oops: but due to some unforeseen circumstances (unplanned first child :shock: :cool: , decorating for nursery :D & my employee on very shakey ground :( ) there isn’t that much more to show :oops: :LOL:

Having just looked in photo bucket I am behind with photos but here are a few I haven’t posted :

Polished Ti bits :

DSC03834.jpg

DSC03934.jpg

The finished ‘rebuilt’ fork thread, time will tell how it lasts :? :

DSC03848.jpg

The finished ends of the brake cables :

DSC03851.jpg

The pedals I found cheap on eBay – Expedo – Anyone got any comments on them ? Good or bad ? :

DSC03880.jpg

And one for a laugh, the old headlock after anodising, little did I know it was magnesium :oops: :LOL: :

DSC03861.jpg

The updates since the photos are that the forks in with de-caged xtr headset and headlock – silky smooth :cool: Ti stem and bar ends polished ready for stickering and blasting and the wheels etc can now go on. The only reason they haven’t yet is that until the blasting is done I can’t finish the bike anyway and once the wheels are on it will have to move out of the dining room ... :LOL:

A silver set of stickers should be here soon (from benandemu :cool: ) so those should bring it along nicely :D

WD :D

Love the polished ti stuff, not sure about the pedals though. Would love to see a refurbed set of period ones on this 'attention to detail' build.

Excellent work. Started to read this and ended up getting my own Bear Valley SE in the hope of restoring her to a 10th of the level you've achieved.

Did you manage to wax/rust proof the inside of the tubes? If you did what did you end up using?

Well done, keep posting the pictures!

Damian

Thanks for the comments :D

I used 'Supertrol' its like a very runny wax oil that leaves a thin waxy coat once it 'sets'.

It has very good 'creep' properites. Messy to initially use but its cheap and I am very impressed with it, would defo use again :cool: One can would easy do three frames and a couple of kitchen floors :LOL: I probably put way to much in mine but wanted to ensure full tube coverage - all the excess drips out anyway :D

WD Pro":oqd0pwv6 said:
Thanks for the comments :D

I used 'Supertrol' its like a very runny wax oil that leaves a thin waxy coat once it 'sets'.

It has very good 'creep' properites. Messy to initially use but its cheap and I am very impressed with it, would defo use again :cool: One can would easy do three frames and a couple of kitchen floors :LOL: I probably put way to much in mine but wanted to ensure full tube coverage - all the excess drips out anyway :D

Thanks!

WD Pro":766waxko said:
The pedals I found cheap on eBay – Expedo – Anyone got any comments on them ? Good or bad ? :

I'm with Sinnett on the pedals - lose 'em! They're akin to a ha'p'orth 'o' tar spoiling the ship...

;)

Back