UK Ti frame builders?

would be a custom frame is any so the chances of a test ride i think are very slim. I've had a look at that enigma site already and they look as if they build some nice machines which get good reviews and win some tests. They claim to have been on the go for years and have a decent gallery of bikes. i know what your saying about the quality of welding though pete and i've looked for some close up pics but there doesn't seem to be any.

Splatter Paint":2o8kkamg said:
Hello,

before you go Ti whatever the manufacturer, make sure you test ride it and by ride I mean properly off-road at your normal pace, not just around the shop carpark!

I went ti a two years ago and after reading loads of reviews and hunting down a brand new frame at a good price I was gutted to find my frame was a flexy, useless mess. Particular things of note were the twichy handling and massive bottom bracket flex.

After changing the forks and headset plus experimenting with stem lenghts and bar widths I was forced to conceed I'd bought a lemon. I was sucked in by the hype. D'oh.

Sorry to hear that, fella, -thank's for being so honest. Out of interest could you tell us, what was the frame ?

In response to the earlier question, I'd had a number of Kona steel frames, a Kona full-suss bike and a GT Zaskar before going Ti. Incidentally, I sold the lot to pay for the Ti bike :(

The bike was a European manufacturer, but the frame itself is made in Taiwan / China I can't remember which. Probably serves me right for not buying a Litespeed / Merlin, but at the time the frame was 'only' £550 from Fat Birds....

A mate has a Cotic ti frame and he's a big fella and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread, so maybe they've got it right?

haggis":1hb2y3of said:
found some pics of enigmas welding and it looks not bad

I just had a look and it's not half bad! Just re-read my earlier post and it seems a little harsh.. I'd say that the Whyte seems a good bet but isn't custom, the Enigma/Omega is custom but I thought they were very road focused so may not have the feedback from MTBs to ensure their design is spot on, all others are Ti bikes from Taiwan (which in itself is not bad).

If you want truely custom MTB you can't go wrong with a Seven (except with the bank manager!), Sigma sports in Kingston (near London) are the importers and can do a proper measure up to ensure full custom fit rather than their Signature series fit or there are a multitude of other US builders like Black Sheep who could do something.

Personally I just don't think it's something we're set up for over here, especially with our more traditional scene with brazed steel being king. If I want UK I go for steel, if I want Ti I go for US, if I want carbon I go for a head exam!

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but Charge do a TI frame and On One as well of course. Obviously not brit made but brit based anyroads.

To add to that I'll buy a magazine every now and then and the On One is consistently a Best buy/10/ shootout winner etc.

had a look at the on one but i don't like the curved top tube plus it something custom i'm looking for. From what i've read Mark Reilly (i think) who was the designer behind Omegat Ti bikes is the man behind Enigma. Anyone got any info on Omega bikes? I think the company itself has a chequered background but the bikes are all good

Yes omega is gone and it is now called Enigma .

Omega were good bikes , but they were not doing much MTB .

Back