Identify my cranks

Splatter Paint":2kgcyquh said:
Middleburn RS1

Deffo Middleburn but not RS1 - more like RS2. But wait...
RS2 (and indeed all RS cranks) have the spider positioned so that all five chainring bolts can be seen. Here, one is hidden behind the crank arm like Topline and some Cooks. My guess is a development proto of the RS2 (hence also the lack of 'Middleburn' engraving)

Splatter Paint":3njcxzyf said:
Middleburn RS1

Deffo Middleburn but not RS1 - more like RS2. But wait...
RS2 (and indeed all RS cranks) have the spider positioned so that all five chainring bolts can be seen. Here, one is hidden behind the crank arm like Topline and some Cooks. My guess is a development proto of the RS2 (hence also the lack of 'Middleburn' engraving)

Corduroyboy":1k31rg5o said:
RS2 (and indeed all RS cranks) have the spider positioned so that all five chainring bolts can be seen. Here, one is hidden behind the crank arm like Topline and some Cooks.

I had wondered about that. How does the spider attached to the crank arm? Is it possible to attach it in a different way to get this effect?
They haven't arrived yet so I can't tell.

Corduroyboy":1k31rg5o said:
My guess is a development proto of the RS2 (hence also the lack of 'Middleburn' engraving)

I hope that's the good kind of proto rather than the 'I'm going to snap and kill you' type. :LOL:

Dave_H":3utmlm2x said:
I had wondered about that. How does the spider attached to the crank arm? Is it possible to attach it in a different way to get this effect?

I hope that's the good kind of proto rather than the 'I'm going to snap and kill you' type. :LOL:

Just realised that the spider would look like that if it was rotated 180 degrees! :oops:

So that's that solved! The lack of 'Middleburn' engraving (and some CNC work) would then suggest an unfinished pair as they moved onto the RS3

Corduroyboy" The lack of 'Middleburn' engraving (and some CNC work) would then suggest an unfinished pair as they moved onto the RS3[/quote said:
That's a great buy, fella. Not worth too much today, but being made-in-england and interesting they should be very desirable one day, no doubt. :D

Well, they've arrived and everything is good with them. As Corduroyboy says, I can rotate the spider by 180 degrees and it will be back to normal.

Tapers and threads are all good. Well pleased. :cool:

Corduroyboy":1otiy265 said:
Dave_H":1otiy265 said:

Just realised that the spider would look like that if it was rotated 180 degrees! :oops:

So that's that solved! The lack of 'Middleburn' engraving (and some CNC work) would then suggest an unfinished pair as they moved onto the RS3

Don't Middleburns have a large M6 bolt as well as the smaller fixings, if it was out of rotation you would see this.

Back