UK Ti frame builders?

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Can anyone help me with some ideas for UK based Ti frame builders please? Also how would a custom UK built frame differ from a US built one? Even at present with the poor exchange rate the UK frames seem to be much cheaper than the US ones. Would it be down to quality of tubing used as if the US frame builders can reel you in with their bumf then you are led to believe that the US tubing is of far greater quality to chinese or russian. I know of Enigma, Cotic, Pipedream (although i'm not sure if the two latter ones actually build in the UK or outsource to taiwan) but are there any others? cheers dudes and dudettes.

It's not very helpful, but I'm pretty sure that Setavento have gone out of business. probably explains why their website no longer works. Can't think of any Ti builders off the top of my head

Were they a UK builder or another one of these 'designed in the UK by a bloke who thought it would be fun to be a bike 'designer' only to realise that once the STW massive move on to their next fashion he'll be dead in the water, built in taiwan' like everyone else these days?

The great thing with US titanium is they can actually build with the stuff unlike anyone in the UK (just use the search function and look up Vernon Barker, mmmm smooth welds....).

If you want a steel frame then go UK, if you want a Ti frame go for Taiwan or the US (there is a good reason why On-One get their Ti frames built in the US and not here!)

I have a Seven and the quality is amazing, no UK builder (or 'designed in the UK' built in a sweatshop frame) could come near - avoid UK Ti like the plague, Ti welding is only as good as the welder, and the welder is only as good as the experience he has gained, so who would you trust - a guy who's done 10 frames with welds the size of your fist for his mates in the UK, or a guy who's done hundreds/thousands of frames after spending a life time welding space craft and fighter planes in the US, china or russia?

Go USA/China/Russia!

Enigma Bikes in near Eastbourne, they repaired my Pro Elite. Very nice chaps who build some beautiful bikes. They don't do custom - they do bespoke, much posher.

www.enigmabikes.com

Hello,

before you go Ti whatever the manufacturer, make sure you test ride it and by ride I mean properly off-road at your normal pace, not just around the shop carpark!

I went ti a two years ago and after reading loads of reviews and hunting down a brand new frame at a good price I was gutted to find my frame was a flexy, useless mess. Particular things of note were the twichy handling and massive bottom bracket flex.

After changing the forks and headset plus experimenting with stem lenghts and bar widths I was forced to conceed I'd bought a lemon. I was sucked in by the hype. D'oh.

doh sorry posted in wrong thread...^^ but while I'm here the above isn't solely to be laid at the feet of ti - the same is true of any frame.

I rode what's one of the "cult" ti frames a few years ago and was totally underwhelmed by it - as I was with their steel frame.

Search the archive stew, there are links to a couple of UK builders. Some just designed rather than manufacturered though. What about the new Whyte? Looks nice.

Splatter Paint":3szzz9xl said:
Hello,

before you go Ti whatever the manufacturer, make sure you test ride it and by ride I mean properly off-road at your normal pace, not just around the shop carpark!

I went ti a two years ago and after reading loads of reviews and hunting down a brand new frame at a good price I was gutted to find my frame was a flexy, useless mess. Particular things of note were the twichy handling and massive bottom bracket flex.

After changing the forks and headset plus experimenting with stem lenghts and bar widths I was forced to conceed I'd bought a lemon. I was sucked in by the hype. D'oh.

Interesting - for comparison, what was your usual ride's frame made of?

damp wool":2lknxzvr said:
It's not very helpful, but I'm pretty sure that Setavento have gone out of business.

They have. I found this on their contact page.

Setavento":2lknxzvr said:
SETAVENTO IS CLOSED.

As of 31 December 2007 Setavento is closed. For Warranty and Repair enquiries please use the contact form below. If you are looking for a titanium frame you might find one in our Clearance section. We are not responding to sales enquiries any longer.

Back