Jim clark: the quiet champion

greenfinger

Retro Guru
Fantastic programme on BBC four just now about the legend that is Jim Clark. Anyone else been watching? there's some fantastic footage on it, esp of the cortina's on 3 wheels :cool:

Bugger, I'm sat waiting for a curry. Great champion was jimmy. He is buried not far from here at Chirnside.

Si

greenfinger":3rqy1myy said:
The museum for him in duns would be an interesting place to visit. Have you ever been?

Yes, it's very good. The pub in the square has the Walls covered in pictures and newspaper cuttings too. It's a few years since I have been in. We used to do the Jim Clark Memorial Rally until they took out the night stages. It's the only rally in mainland Britain to use closed public roads. It's mega fast and we saw 142mph on one of the straights one year. Very hard on the car though and we never finished the event.

Caught the last 15ish minutes. Had heard of him from the same Moss/Fangio/Hill era. Due to the lack of current interviews with him I suspected he was dead but was wondering how.
Now I know. Really good programe!

Undoubtably the greatest race driver of all time IMO. A real gentleman too. He did the RAC rally one year in a Cortina. By the end of the first day he was setting top ten times against the regular Finns. By next morning he was setting fastest times before putting the car off big style. The most remarkable thing was after retiring his very battered car he put on a pair of overalls and jumped in the service van and mucked in with the mechanics for the rest of the week on the other works Cortinas. The lads at Boreham loved him for that. Couldn't imagine young master Hamilton doing such a thing.

Si

Back