1990 Marin Eldridge Grade (updated 23/4 nearly finished)

Right, the decals are on. They are all printed on my injet printer then cut out by hand.

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

ENJOY.

hi Prof

got any more updates to post soon?!!!

i'm thinking of tackling a similar project on my palisades from the same year as a birthday treat for it and me and its a bit of an inspirational thread.

colour match on the grey looks excellent in the pictures, is it almost identical in the flesh with colour and texture?

Cheers
rowley

hi rowley,

i have advanced with the project quite alot and will take some new photos at the weekend.

with regards to the paintwork, the finish i eventually achieved, is in my opinion almost exactly the same texture as the original. Im happy with how close the colour match is to the original although they are difficult to compare, as the original paintwork has gone a little brown with the ingrained dirt (an unfortunate side affect of the textured surface). If you look at the picture above showing the the two headtubes side by side, you will see the area on the older bike from which i removed the head tube sticker is noticably lighter than the surrounding 'browned' paint, this is the area i used to compare my paint match as i think is the closest to the colour it would have been as new.

-prof. farnsworth.

very much looking forward to seeing the updates then.

the light grey on mine is badly stained on the chainstays from years of dirt and oil so is in need of a freshen up. Do you take on work??!!

i don't know if its because of the 80's revival and the kids on the street wearing neon colours but these 1990 marins are looking really cool. But then i'm biased.

So the eldridge is nearly done. took some pictures today but you will have to excuse the dodgy kenda tyres. they were the only ones i had to hand at the time. also im still unsure about the saddle, although it is a marin from around 91 or 92 i think it looks a little bulky. and as this bike is gonna be a regular ride i think ill use a flight as i get on well with them. Also the pedals will be changed for spd's when they arrive.

anyway hope you like it.

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

Outstanding effort. I prefer builds like this. I like 'the throw loads of money at the super top end build' as well though. What spray kit did you use? Also what size frame is it? Marin frames always seem to look bigger than they measure. My bro had a zolatone Marin before he switched to Specialized.

The frame looks like a bit of a gate in those photos, i think is between 18 or 19 inches i cant remember exactly but will measure it in the morning. The paint is a mixture of 5 different paints (including primer) all were rattle cans purchased from either halfords or B&Q. i knocked the paint lightly a few times today (as you do with fresh paint :shock:) getting it out the garage and i didnt do any damage. however i will report again on the longevity of the finish after a few hard sessions on the trails. It looks a little less gate like in the picture below.

DSC00081.jpg

Thats looking real good, great job. That saddle looks a little bulky but comfy, everything just looks so right on that bike well done that Prof.

Latest posts

Back