Art of the Mountain Bike

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
In the winter of 1989 the Braunstein-Quay Gallery in San Francisco commissioned thirteen Northern California frame builders to make their most artistic bikes for an exhibit called The Art of the Mountain Bike. I have a page on my website with the official images sold in a package of descriptive cards by the gallery.

Bicycling Magazine hired a noted sports photographer and participant in many of the early MTB adventures, Dave Epperson, to do a studio shoot for an article that I "wrote," if a few hundred words is writing. Apparently these five are all that showed up for the shoot, so they all got a free page in the May 1990 issue of Bicycling Magazine.

art_JeffRichman.jpg

art_PaulBrown.jpg

art_OtisGuy.jpg

art_JoeBreeze.jpg

art_CraigMitchell.jpg

Could I have 1x Breezer Kite and a Mitchell please?
Very nice. I do wonder what those 'cable' bikes ride like. Did you ever sample one CK?

Great scan as ever, cheers for sharing.

Si

great scan's :D

love the Breezer and Mitchell...

and they all have 1 thing in commen,.. -> the suit! :LOL:
nice series with the builder taken out of his natural habitat and display them as true gentlemen

have you seen the big price differences?,.. 2200 $ for the Richman which looks pretty nice and 15.000$ ! for the Breezer,...which looks amazing by the way,..

quote Craig Mitchell: " Bicycles are a way of efficiently utilizing resources while permitting personal freedom of movement","everyone should have at least six." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Craig Mitchell

Craig Mitchell gets my vote for the same reason as Bas. The line that
'everyone should have at least six'

Thanks once again for sharing Charlie :)

Jamie

Nice set of scans. Its bad enough getting stranded on a toptube when failing to clear a technical section, the thought of those cables make my eyes water :shock: :LOL:

Just reviving this thread.

I was just reading up on the exhibit and found this link, the link in the first post takes you to Charlies site and shows the rest of the bikes :cool:

Latest posts

Back