Ti BB - threadlock, antiseize or nothing?

bontyfiend

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just got my first ti-axled BB. Frame is steel, BB threads are alloy, axle is ti, cranks are alloy.
The question is, what do I use on the tapers and the threads? With steel axles, I usually use threadlock on the tapers and anti-seize on the BB shell threads.
Anyone got experience? I gather ti and alu like each other a bit too much in a chemical bonding kind of way...

Thanks
Matt

bontyfiend":3pebvmii said:
I've just got my first ti-axled BB. Frame is steel, BB threads are alloy, axle is ti, cranks are alloy.
The question is, what do I use on the tapers and the threads? With steel axles, I usually use threadlock on the tapers and anti-seize on the BB shell threads.
Anyone got experience? I gather ti and alu like each other a bit too much in a chemical bonding kind of way...

Thanks
Matt

I'd go with anti-sieze on cup threads, grease on bearing/axle contact surfaces and a lower-strength threadlock (eg Loctite 23:cool: on crank bolts and tapers.

Thanks people! Will go with anti seize on threads and loctite on the tapers and crank bolts (cartridge bearings, so no grease needed!)

Back