Steerer Extenders dangerous or useful?

Re: Steerer

Kestonian":gripu76i said:
RTSclassic":gripu76i said:
Thanks for the heads up andy I am running a set of Pace RC36 forks, any idea on what size extender I would require? I'm not being lazy I'm still on a learning curve when it comes to kit. Also I take on board your comments re: a higher rise stem are there any down sides to going down this route?

Cheers

Mark.

Why not just get a longer steerer tube?

The steerer on Pace forks can be replaced (check the steerer swapsies thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43194 , or get in touch with justbackdated on this forum who should be able to help out)

Very good point, should have noticed that!

Good Man

Kestonian your a legend that should solve all my woes. I am a lot like a grass hopper my legs are long but my torso is short so the bike fits fine it just feels like I cannot extend my leg as much as I like without raising the saddle to a point they are above the Handlebars by too much.

Thanks again guys I will keep an eye on the thread then be back to ask advice on swapping the steerer out Wink

Oddly, I fitted a steerer extender today. It's a Satori Heads Up 4. Clamps onto the steerer tube, then you put your stem onto this. Comes with spacers and an extra long top-cap screw. Looks Ok to me and feels plenty tight; I've just tw@tted it around the carpark doing endo spins to make sure it's solid.

Satori also do one called an Easy-Up which, from some real-world reviews on the interweb, creaked and didn't inspire confidence. But the Heads Up 4 seems to have been well-received. I'll let you know how I get on.

Pics in a minute, when I nip out with my phone.

257ba1b80f5739c1c23c2c9dcc15e73e.jpg

d183e74e85dc57efa9c9d82936fdd8b7.jpg

3f03fddcf9a133e928d730f3bbced555.jpg

It looks higher in the pictures than it does in the flesh, but I didn't want a hump on top of the stem so used all the spacers. And as it's a commuter, comfort wins.

Personally I recon a high rise stem helped by a riser bar is a much more elegant solution. A 15 degree stem and bars will get some decent height whilst looking [and functioning?] better.

J i m s t e r":166tjwdv said:
It looks higher in the pictures than it does in the flesh, but I didn't want a hump on top of the stem so used all the spacers. And as it's a commuter, comfort wins.

I was wondering if once a height had been found that you feel most comfortable, you could cut the remainder of projecting tube off.

I am a lot like a grass hopper my legs are long but my torso is short so the bike fits fine it just feels like I cannot extend my leg as much as I like without raising the saddle to a point they are above the Handlebars by too much

ah - so I'm not the only one - hurray :D

It's a bloody nightmare isn't it...

orange71":3ehizvuo said:
I am a lot like a grass hopper my legs are long but my torso is short so the bike fits fine it just feels like I cannot extend my leg as much as I like without raising the saddle to a point they are above the Handlebars by too much

ah - so I'm not the only one - hurray :D

It's a bloody nightmare isn't it...

+1

Road bars are really uncomfortable for me - they and their hooded brakes best suited to those jokeyesque continental types with short legs and long arms. Y'know, like the kind of bloke Alfa Romeo used to design cars for.

Latest posts

Back