Replacement LCD Laptop screen- MAC

elite504

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
MAC scrren just went pop at the weekend. Took it to the mac shop genius bar (excellent free service for all mac kit, second time used!), and they plugged in a regular monitor, no problem,. Just the laptop screen is dead.

Now, I'm totally happy to change the screen, thats cool. Just looking on the bay, it seems screens vary for the G4 ibook from £60 to £200. Now I'm a realist enough to know (that like bikes), you get what you pay for to a certain extent (a Yeti isn't expensive, it just costs a lot of money, subtle difference). Do before I blow £60 on shite, can anyon give us a steer on a good source for replacement screens. I know there are a few on here who are in to their IT.

Info appreciated gang ;)

just check first that it isnt the inverter that has popped - these go first and are easy/ cheaper to replace than the whole screen.

Apple use about four different companies to supply LCD screens and a run of a Mac Book could have 4 different manufacturers in one batch!

The only way to find out is to actually take the laptop apart and read the label on the back of the LCD panel.

My money is still on the inverter that sits just behind the plastic at the base of the screen.

The bulb is blown (CCFL) that lights it up, easy to tell as if you look at the screen with light shining on it you can see a shadow of what is there as such.
Similar thing for the invertor (thing that turns the bulb on).

Very odd for the screen itself to go all in one, you would normally see lines in the screen not the screen just black.

cool- good info. . . one time I turn it on, its black, the next its all white, the next its black again. Seems to be all volts or no volts. . . :?: Mac genius reckongs the diagnosis is sound at the screen, but I'll defo check the inv. . .
no shadow under the spotlight, all or nothing. . :cry:

Also it might be cost effective to get a new one as it'll be pretty old now for a laptop and try and pic up a MacBook.

elite504":1l3ut2ft said:
cool- good info. . . one time I turn it on, its black, the next its all white, the next its black again. Seems to be all volts or no volts. . . :?: Mac genius reckongs the diagnosis is sound at the screen, but I'll defo check the inv. . .
no shadow under the spotlight, all or nothing. . :cry:

G4 did have a video problem that cropped up, not sure if it effected all but I do remeber it cropping up, G3 had it as well. somthing about the video card or something related delaminating. I think pushing one of the corners made it work :LOL:

I'm not a Apple man, just what I remember reading

I worked as a credited Apple service engineer - it may even be a mainboard problem.

Did I read right that the apple sign on the back still lights up? (thats the LCD backlight)

If it does, that would mean the video section of the main board going pop which would mean expensive repair or buy another laptop.

Unfortunately, my Apple knowledge runs out after 2006 so I cant help with stuff after that... (I'm very out of date now!)

GREAT info chaps, thanx. .
I can't recollect if the light comes on, (apple), I'll have to check at home, but the graveyard certainly looks line the place to check,
cheers guys
;)

Back