Random cycle related question.

sq225917

Retro Guru
So here i am sat at home and a delivery comes to the door, i sign for it, take it inside and unwrap it.

It's a brand new bike lock, a really good brand new bike lock. the only thing is i haven't ordered a really good brand new bike lock, infact i haven't ordered any bike lock. and despite it being my birthday next week, neither has the Missus, as i have a perfectly good bike lock, infact i have two.

But this one is much better...

So here's the question.. Not knowing it's provenance, no invoice, no sender details, do i risk chaining up £3.6k worth of Santa Cruz with a bike lock that quite frankly, anyone could have a spare key for and risk my pride and joy being liberated as part of some, admittedly potentially convoluted, bike theft scam?

Am i too suspiscious, or just naturally inquisitive?

What would you guys do?

I'm trying to track the sender but so far no luck.

Best i can find out is that it came from Redditch, and i've never online shopped with anyone located near Redditch, infact i only ever use Wiggle and they are in Portsmouth.

This all strikes me as very strange...

A new bike would have been a more pleasent surprise! ;)

Was the lock in it's original packaging?

Would you normally trust £3.6k worth of Santa Cruz to a bike lock anyway?

As there are no details of where it came from or who I'd be a bit suspicious of the unknown senders intentions - it could be an elabourate scam.

I'd wait until your birthday passes and see if anyone asks if you got the present they sent you and then have a think about using it.

I agree I wouldn't trust any bike worth that much to any lock that I bought myself even... my rule for my valuable bikes is if it isn't attached to my bum it's either in my car with me or in the cellar...

Agreed...

Personally I think you should sell it on eBay then buy yourself another lock of the same make - if it is a scam then whoever set it up will get a surprise when they can't open the lock! :LOL:

you've got to wonder though - who knows you have valuable bikes? I'd make sure your house alarm is working too... not wishing to make you paranoid or anything...

If its a scam, its f*****g brilliant!

but as someone else said, who leaves a bike that expensive in the street anyway??? Locked or otherwise.

i work from home....

if it is a scam i agree it's a brilliant idea, it would work with anything similar.

i liked the old tale about the guy who has his car stolen, gets it back with tickets to the opera on the dashboard. goes to opera,comes back and his house is cleared out.

Back