Steerer Extenders dangerous or useful?

RTSclassic

Geoff Capes
Hi Guys

I need some advice I would like to take the height of my saddle up a little more but I am finding my self towering over my handlebars. As a resolution I am looking at the various Steerer extenders that are kicking about. I am riding a threadless headset so this seems a good solution. However I noticed a number of them come with the not for downhill use warning which makes me question their strength. Has anyone had any experience of these?

Cheers

Mark.

I think I'd go for a stem with more rise (or bars with more rise, come to that) rather than use one of those steerer tube extenders.
If you just need something like an extra 10-15mm height and your steerer tube is too short to do this, then the type that fit inside the existing steerer tube would do the job I suppose (at the expense of a bit of extra weight) but I wouldn't touch the ones that clamp on outside the steerer tube and that give you 50-75mm extra height.

They look crap too.

Steerer

Thanks for the heads up andy I am running a set of Pace RC36 forks, any idea on what size extender I would require? I'm not being lazy I'm still on a learning curve when it comes to kit. Also I take on board your comments re: a higher rise stem are there any down sides to going down this route?

Cheers

Mark.

Yes, I know what you both mean, I need to extend my steerer, and have considered the extending devices, the external clamping variety, I just do not trust, although I will consider the internal clamping method, as I can see that one would be better. But my plans are on hold at the moment, as I am pursuing another solution, that of going back to threaded steerer, which means new forks, but then I want to try out front suspension, a way to kill two birds with one stone.

Currently the height problem is solved to a degree by the use of riser bars, which were original on the cycle. I just wish the threadless steerer was not original though, but aheadset on a '93 cycle, it has to be one of the earliest ?

Are there any negatives using the riser bars? The reality is my frame is a little small for me but I love the bike and like a smaller frame when on the trail. The commute for work though makes it very obvious the distance between the pedals and my crotch is to short! :(

RTSclassic":bghbyu7u said:
Are there any negatives using the riser bars? The reality is my frame is a little small for me but I love the bike and like a smaller frame when on the trail. The commute for work though makes it very obvious the distance between the pedals and my crotch is to short! :(

Only real downside is they look poop, but thats just my opinion. If it makes it more comfortable, thats the important thing!

Re: Steerer

RTSclassic":i2rqnvy8 said:
Thanks for the heads up andy I am running a set of Pace RC36 forks, any idea on what size extender I would require? I'm not being lazy I'm still on a learning curve when it comes to kit. Also I take on board your comments re: a higher rise stem are there any down sides to going down this route?

Cheers

Mark.

Mark - I'm by no means a Pace fork expert, but I would imagine that you have a 1 1/8th steerer on yours, as you have a threadless headset.
Some people report that those BBB steerer extenders are too large a diameter to fit inside some aluminium steerer tubes, but never having used them myself don't take this as gospel.

What sort of rise is the stem that you currently have fitted, and do you have flat bars at the minute?
I'd think that you could easily get 50mm of extra bar height using a stem with more rise and some low riser bars without too much compromise on handling or looks.

Andy.

Re: Steerer

RTSclassic":3froema5 said:

Cheers

Mark.

Why not just get a longer steerer tube?

The steerer on Pace forks can be replaced (check the steerer swapsies thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43194 , or get in touch with justbackdated on this forum who should be able to help out)

If you don't go for a longer steerer, there's nothing wrong with a high rise stem at all, from an engineering point of view. They just look pretty goofy. Add riser bars as well if you need them.
But if you need to raise the bars that much, are you sure the bike fits you. Are you able to stretch out enough ?

Back