What sort of saddle for early 80's Ti Raleigh Team replica?

psychlist

Devout Dirtbag
I've just bought a 1982 Ti Raleigh Team replica (the Reynolds 531 version). It comes pretty much original except for a more recent saddle.

What saddle might have been used with this bike by a serious racer in 1982? I fancy a Brooks Professional, but am not sure if they were beginnging to be thought of as too heavy for racing bikes by that time.

Any retro suggestions gratefully received!

It would have to be a leather covered Unica by then. When did Turbo's appear? They were very popular in the 80's.

Hello, new here so be gentle...
im sure the saddle that was on that bike would of been a black rolls with the gold strip on the back with gold rails.

pembspablo":10er43sv said:
Hello, new here so be gentle...
im sure the saddle that was on that bike would of been a black rolls with the gold strip on the back with gold rails.

You could very well be right..............

I've got one in my shed so I should have thought of that myself............... :oops:

Thanks for the ideas - the Unica is a definite option.

I had thought that the classic Rolls was slighlty later but may be wrong about that.

Would a Brooks have been used still in early 80s?

It's often hard to see what was saddle was being used in photos taken at the time.

I think the 2 most common ones are the Selle Italia Turbo and the San Marco Concor. A Turbo from 1982 would have "Bernard Hinault" on it, which was dropped a few years later when Hinault went over to the Rolls, I think.

I agree the Rolls first came out a bit later, perhaps 1985.

I'd think you would have to go back to the 60s to find anyone using a leather (Brooks type) saddle on a racing bike.

edit for typo

fiks":3pb8zktf said:
I'd think you would have to go back the 60s to find anyone using a leather (Brooks type) saddle on a racing bike.

Many thanks fiks - I do love the Brooks Pro with its brass rivets so may go for that anyway!

Make sure it's the later-type Unica-Nitor, with the "winged C" Cinelli logo.

Certainly correct on 1981/82 bikes: It's what's on my Gios and was team spec.

Good luck finding one though. They can go for crazy money. I was lucky to find a NOS one for $50.

Back