Are spd's easy to use??

Do you use SPD or Flatties??

• SPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flatties

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
rojo":168pdjpl said:
Is there anywhere with cheap shoe to try if i get on with them, looked on ebay and they go for a far bit and if i don't get on with them. Will be a waste of money.
I picked mine up off ebay for £25 posted.

Mine are only £30 ;)

Seriously though, if you can borrow some for a few weeks try them and try to stick to it. Everyone forgets to unclip and falls when they start. If you need to, go back to flats after trying and trying and trying :D

xizang":3u7ffcld said:
Mine are only £30 ;)

Seriously though, if you can borrow some for a few weeks try them and try to stick to it. Everyone forgets to unclip and falls when they start. If you need to, go back to flats after trying and trying and trying :D

There is someone in the for sale section selling size 11 for a £10 so i have asked for a pic of them , so may go for them.

Get some really expensive shoes and pedals,then no matter what you'll persevere ;)

Got my first SPDs at the age of 15, now 17 years later I still won't ride without them... Road, offroad, even the 4-mile sprint to work, I just hate not being able to pull up on the pedals and don't feel safe on flatties.

But then I'm not really much of a downhiller or jumper so don't ever really go fast enough to crash! Only had one instance of falling over still clipped in and that was in the first week, after that and since then it's just second nature.

Good pieces of advice I got were:
> On road, if coming up to traffic lights or a junction where you're going to need to stop, unclip before you come to a full halt.
>When you first get them, clip in, ride along on grass, stop, and allow yourself to fall over sideways with your feet still deliberately clipped in. Once you realise it isn't a big deal, the fear of not being able to unclip goes.

I do not like being attached to the bike but I do not like becoming detached from the pedals on bumpy descents, dilema !

Usually I go for gnarly pedals and grippy soled shoes plus try to keep the speed down when it gets bumpy.

Tried spd's, powergrips and strapped toe clips, all of which result in far from comedic crashes. Only the unstrapped toe clips such as made by Zefal seem tolerable.

Some folk are just not compatible with feet retention devices :roll:

I've used SPD's for years. My mate describes the extra power you can utilise going up hills as "having an extra pair of legs" and I'm inclined to agree. It really does make a BIG difference and pedaling in circles is far more efficient when on the flat.

As mentioned in the post above, a good way to start is by riding around on the grass on the flat where you can practice starting and stopping. I didn't fall off much when I first started out and it really does become second nature. I would go for the multi release cleats though and set the pedals up with low tension when you start out, then gradually tighten them up as you grow in confidence.

I actually feel much more secure riding clipped in down hill or up. Bear traps or flats with pins make a horrible mess of your shins when you slip off and in my experience the injuries tend to be far worse than the injured pride you might get if you fall off the first few times you ride SPD's. Bear in mind unlike slipping off a flat when travelling at speed, if you do fall over because you have forgotten to clip out, you will be virtually stationary and it doesn't really hurt.

Stick with it and you will reap huge benefits. :)

So how do you set them up is it on the pedal bit or on the shoe or both??

Falling over clipped in doesn't really hurt :shock:

Where do you live, marshmallow land !!!!

Falling of bikes regardless of clipped in status hurts, going over the bars and pulling the bike after you does not appeal.

Apologies if I sound like I'm having a go, but crashing or falling over does hurt as much clipped in :cry:

Back