GT XCR 4000 1999

So the frames was delivered and was OK apart from the back end being a little tatty with a lot of marks on the chainstays and a little bit of chainsuck. It had been resprayed black by the previous owner in an attempt to cover up the marks but was done very poorly. Vinyl tape had been used to cover up the driveside chainstay and when I removed it urrgh horrible :shock:

Out came the Paint stripper and with a little patience and some Autosol the back end is now nice and shiny.

I purchased the frame as I've so many parts laying around gathering dust I thought they'd be better off being used on putting a half decent bike together. Warning though these parts are a mish mash I wasn't going for a show stopper just to get the bike rolling again.

Parts List

FSA Headset
Hope Stem
Raceface Bars
Marzocchi MZII Forks
Deore LX Paddles
Deore Front Mech
Deore LX Rear Derailleur
Truvativ Crankset
XT Rear V Brake
Promax Front Disc
Original Rear Suspension Dishwashered :roll: Works OK
Mismatched wheelset of Sunn Rims with LX hub on Rear and Carrera front Wheel
WTB V Saddle

Need some pedals and a 27.2 seatpost still but loathe to buy them as I know I've got some somewhere in the garage. But they appear to be hiding from me :)

So there we have it. Not to everyone's taste and not very retro :oops: but as the frame only cost me £46 and I already had all the other parts It has worked out to be a pretty good looking bike for the cash. Just shows what you can put together on the cheap for what would cost around the £500+ mark at Halfords :cool:

Attachments

• CIMG1665.JPG
    CIMG1665.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 5,613
  • CIMG1667.JPG
    CIMG1667.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 5,612
  • CIMG1668.JPG
    CIMG1668.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 5,612
  • CIMG1669.JPG
    CIMG1669.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 5,612
I've ridden/owned a number of I-drives and in my experience the shock on that frame was pretty bouncy. The air units gave a much better ride and allowed the i-drive design to perform at it's best. As mentioned the fox float units fit and BETD do all the spares you might need in terms of bushings/spacers etc. :)

Thanks for the advice - appreciated.

Built the bike as a bit of a hack, not really wanting to spend anymore money on it.

Used BETD for my STS which is a keeper. As for the XCR 4000 probably going to put put it up for sale before too long as I really have got too many bikes already :(

If anyone's interested - keep watching the 'For Sale' forum

....then again perhaps I'll keep it :D

nice work

love these GT XCR 4000,,,, like a Clydesdale,,, heavy work horse.

I too am wanting to replace the rear shock.

So the specs are?

6.5 eye to eye
4.6 travel

What is the stroke ? 1.5?

Latest posts

Back