GT karakoram, my new project!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
just picked this up after the thetford forest ride :D

think it is a 96, but i'm happy to be corrected!!! :D lots will be changing on this, it will get stripped tomorrow, completely, various parts will be up for sale but i'm not sure which yet, will do another thread for that in a few days.

basically i'm gonna build this similar to the karakoram i had a few years ago that my dumbass brother got stolen through stupidity! :x it will be neo-retro! 27speed, deore/xt/xtr mix probably with the spinergy wheels that are currently in the proflex(they suit a hardtail really).

there is barely a mark on the paint and the parts are mint! :D all this for the princely sum of 72 quid and a glorius ride in thetford forest!! :D

i think it is gonna look cool!! :cool: :D

Attachments

• GT KARAKORAM.jpg
    GT KARAKORAM.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,780
:cool: I have the very same :D was bought to be built up and used as a winter mtb/commuter but its one of my favourite bikes as the Macretro lot will attest as I bring it all the time :LOL: will watch what you do with it with interest.

the previous one i had had p2's on it (sacrilidge i know, kona forks in a GT) but it handled really well in this size with a riser bar so i'm gonna do it in a similar stlye.

basically, street hack bike style but in a cool way. :cool:

done a bit of work on the karakoram today, decided to completely strip the bike, just aswel i did as the b\b was loose in the frame, overall the bike is in very good order, frame has only a few marks on it, mostly on the chainstay.

build wise i have just put it together with what i have lying around, the forks won't be staying and neither will the bar and stem, i wanted to get it in to a rolling chassis so i could sort out what length stem etc i needed.

i will be using the spinergy wheels, these ones will go in the proflex. the brakes are xtr and will be staying, i've decided to stick with the original chainset+b/b+front mech. the rear mech is a 952 xtr that i started polishing, if it looks ok when i finished it i'll use it, if not i have an xt.

here's a couple of pics :D

Attachments

• karakoram  a little further along.jpg
    karakoram a little further along.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,684
  • karakoram getting there.jpg
    karakoram getting there.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,684
  • karakoram stripped!.jpg
    karakoram stripped!.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,684
very nice, my one is coming along slowly, hoping to win on a pair of cranks soon, and awaiting delivery of some wheels and its a gower, so seeing that just wets my appetite

:cool: Starting to look quite nails with the flames and the muted colours. Makes mine look a bit jessie :LOL:

did a bit more work to the karakoram today, set up the brakes, fitted the spinergy wheels and ceramic pads, got a new saddle.

just want to replace the bar/stem/post and forks but had a quick spin on it and i does ride nice, like i remember. :D

here's an updated pic

Attachments

• karakoramresized.jpg
    karakoramresized.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,589
Back