What's the best upgrade to start with?

White lightning may be great stuff but it has caused no end of bother to me when trying to web search info on my bike which is a Raleigh White Lightning. All searches return never ending info on this lube :roll:

Good light weight kevlar beaded folding tyres are the best bang for the buck upgrade, then you can go wheelset and then frame. Turning heavey wheels is a killer, my knees will vouch for that.

Keep biking :D

Are you happy with the stem length you have at present?(no smutty jokes,thankyou :roll: )

Getting the correct length/ rise/angle of stem, for your physique/riding needs, can transform the feel of your bike.

White lightning may be great stuff but it has caused no end of bother to me when trying to web search info on my bike which is a Raleigh White Lightning. All searches return never ending info on this lube Rolling Eyes

1989 - the year they must have accidentally employed a tramp in the marketing department. Out went the lightweight models named after mountain ranges, in came the range named after types of booze that really mess you up - Moonshine, White Lightning etc.. It was a short-lived renaming (the bikes were the same, just new graphics and names) as the Dynatech's were launched very soon after.

In response to the original question - yes, wheels, wheels, wheels. A saving in rotational weight is worth the square of the same saving made elsewhere. Your bike will go, stop and steer better. The only thing you might notice is if you have really chunky wheels today you lose the 'flywheel' effect a bit, which I used to use to plough blindly through trail obstacles. My friends thought I was brave and skilled, in truth I couldn't stop the bugger.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can tell you the order that my bf has been upgrading my bike ....
Magura brakes
Decent lights
BIG pedals (I can't use spd's as my feet don't bend that way!!)
Front derailleur (to LX)
and he said he'd upgrade my wheels when I bend or break them!! Lol!!

Back